Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

baller27461 said...
I do not agree with this article one bit. For starters had Vick not been a NFL superstar no one would have known that this went on. The auther of the article also left out important facts like Mike was not the manger of the dog fighting his friends where, whie trying to make a profit. Laslty, I bielive that Vick is just another person who has been a victim of getho guilt

baller2746 said...
This article gives a false coneption of Mike Vick. Though this article states that Vick had been the so called manger of the dog fighting it had really been his friends who had cost him so dearly. Vick is just another superstar who has been struck with something I call getho guilt

MagicMan said...
I thought it was good

football said...
i thought this article was good

Nikeillini14 said...
I think that this article is a very important article to read. Micheal Vick was every football fans dream. He had it all till he did something stupid and now look who he is. 23 months in prison I feel is nothing compared to what this man has done. The sad thing is, people don't see it a harmful thing of him killing inocent dogs. They see it as him being a alstar quarterback and they just want him back to play ball.

AlexTheLion said...
I agree and believe he should be punished for his actions. That is cruelty to animals and no human being, not even Michael Vick, has the right to do that. I do agree with him that he had everything, including one of the biggest salaries ever in football history, and let it all go because of drugs, alcohol, and dog fighting. Any player who commits these actions should be sentenced in jail and banned from the NFL.

GetSoSerious said...
This is a ridiculously pointless article. Not only the fact that the story is OLD, Vick is paying his debt to society. If you care about innocent dogs dying why don't you fight to end greyhound racing where they kill THOUSANDS of dogs a year. Leave this man alone. Get out of media hype and think for yourself.

ATLfalcons fan said...
You act as if this was the first time dogfighting has ever occured. this is super small compared to whats being right now as we speak. do some real research on other nfl players and the crimes they've committed which have not nearly been enlarged as mike vick, furthermore he will return, and vick happens to be a HERO to many contrary to your opinion. This is not really even an informative article its mostly the way you feel about him and his situation filled with way more opinions than facts. oh... (more »)

sconner said...
Great article I hope Vick gets a boyfriend in jail named sparkles.

Paul said...
This is a well-written article. The author makes it clear when he is reporting facts and when he is offering opinions. It is informative, well-organized, and well-proof-read. The dates are not correct, however. The dogs were discovered in April; Vick was charged in July, and he was convicted in August. I agree with the author that Vick should never play again in the National Football League.

BigPeterT replied...
Nov. 11, 2009 at 1:47 pm :
I dont think thats true, why cant he have second chance

Barry Freese said...
Aren't you guys just a little late on this one? Come on. The outrage over dogs is so 2007.

galaxy9 said...
I would like to comment on this person's comments. I applaud the people who are supporting Vick. I really believe that Vick should be held accountable for what he did, and he is paying the price. He has to answer for his wrongdoings, so you need to grow up and get over it and concentrate on some your character defects. I hope the NFL give him a second chance to prove to the world, that he has overcome this part of his life and he can move on. So Fans, keep on supporting Mike Vick.