Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

BigPeterT said...
Are you kidding me dude, you are so wrong. vick was not a bad quarterback, I watched him play my Eagles in the NFC Championship. And now he on my Eagles. You said he played his last down in the NFL, he's played some with the Eagles and now the Bills want him. Dont write stuff thats not true. He made a mistake, and you HAVENT? Know information better than that and dont make lies to make him look bad. Dog fightings bad, and so is lying. So this story was absolutely terrible.

scrappy doo said...
dis storii was da bom bii i liked it

DellsBallas replied...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 1:24 pm :
yyeeeeaaaahhh

vickhater147 said...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 10:18 am:
nice article but he should not of been able to come back into the nfl the fourth down conversion failed in his life.

astleye said...
I think what michael vick did was wrong and I think he deserved to go to jail. Dogfitting is illegal. I think if he was so amazing maybe they could have won a super bowl. I think to myself "How can you even think about killing dogs." I think this is a well written story and you could have used some more descriptive words, but overall it was well written story.

i eat pie said...
I think it was a very good article. What Michael Vick did was very wrong! Good article!

BigPeterT replied...
Nov. 11, 2009 at 1:40 pm :
Your very wrong

Beastwilson said...
Sept. 29, 2009 at 9:25 am:
the article on michael vick is both interesting and sad. its sad that michael vick fell so far. we liked all the descriptive stuff.

BRIA T. said...
Jul. 23, 2009 at 2:52 pm:
PEOPLE SHOULD LEAVE MICHAEL VICK ALONE LOTS OF PEOPLE DO DOG FIGHTING AND NOBDY SAYS ANYTHINHG TO THEM BUT LET A CLEBERITY DO IT THEY ALL OVER HIM YES WAT HE DID WAS WRONG BUT EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES SO LEAVE IM ALONE HE HAS LEARNED HIS LESSON

vickhater replied...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 10:21 am :
your wrong he didn't learn his lesson he should not of done wat he did and if think that u think he learned his lesson ur crazy!

Theresa This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 13, 2009 at 3:41 pm:
In regards to everyone else's comments, I have to ask: since when has being a good athlete equated to being a hero? What happened to the days of policemen, firemen, etc. being revered? Michael Vick commited a crime, and saying he's still a hero because he can throw a football, is silly. Yes, he's a good athelete. And yes, he's now a criminal. Both things are true, and both things can't be ignored.

Anyway, this was a well-written article. Slightly biased, but ob... (more »)

SweetRoses replied...
Jan. 17, 2010 at 8:42 pm :
That is one of the best comments here I've read. First off- It's the one that says what everyone is ignoring, and yes it might have been biased, but that's what just about everyone does. By saying that "You shouldn't write that about Michael Vick because he's a good quarter-back and you're biased" is just you being a hypocrite. I agree with this comment completely.

hayleypm93 said...
Even though I'm all for animals and carry around my Humane Society tote, Michael Vick is a great man. Yes, beyond a doubt, Michael Vick is a hero. Look how far he's gotten in life! He is a PROFESSIONAL football player for goodness sake--and a quarterback nonetheless!! Michael Vick was born with talent and has spent his life on honing that. Goodness, give the man some credit! Can you even imagine what it would be like to be so publicized and expected to be nearly perfect ALL DAY LONG? No, I... (more »)

vickhater replied...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 10:22 am :
no he is not a great man

Vick #1 fan said...
Look back on all the nfl player that did more than that.i know it was not right for him to do that but he did.Vick was the best QB but now he cant be when he lock up.He can run,pass and all pust of the QB's now can not do it like VICK did and thay will not do it like him.I'm a big fan of VICK and will all was be.

andress track replied...
Sept. 11, 2009 at 11:02 am :
ok i will...

vickhater147 replied...
Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:15 am :
u shouldn't be his#1 fan

D.Branch#25 said...
I thought the article was pretty good about the way he was so successful, but then when everything started to reveal about how he was treatin his animals i think that was just terrible

lucky 13 said...
Feb. 13, 2009 at 6:08 pm:
you are right it was worng what he did. your story was good.

baller27461 said...
I do not agree with this article one bit. For starters had Vick not been a NFL superstar no one would have known that this went on. The auther of the article also left out important facts like Mike was not the manger of the dog fighting his friends where, whie trying to make a profit. Laslty, I bielive that Vick is just another person who has been a victim of getho guilt