Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

dragonbiscuits This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 17, 2010 at 10:10 am:
First: I agree with the writer of this article.
Second: Reading all of these comments are making me sick! How can you still like a man who took the lives of so many innocent creatures? Yes, that Dante guy should have gotten more prison time, but so should have Vick. Killing that many people would lead to a lifetime in jail, but only 23 months because they were dogs. Why do people see animals as less than humans? They think, they breathe, they fell, just more differently than us. ... (more »)

32carnage95 said...
I definitely agree!

400king said...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 11:35 am:
to keep vick out is absolutely crazy, he had dog fights. yeah thats bad but seriously think what your saying. i don't even think this should be a topic anymore, where is all the donte stallworth haters? He dui and killed a man and got 24 days. 24 days!!! leanard little also killed a man with a car and where is all the "down with leanard," crew? Travis henry has 9 kids with 9 different women and can't pay child support, isn't that worse than fighting dogs? if your gonna ... (more »)

BigPeterT replied...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 1:42 pm :
TOTALLY! THANK YOU

EdPedrys replied...
Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:55 pm :
You guys are my heroes for that comment

DellsBallas said...
ok ok. were both da man

DellsBallas said...
nah you da man

BigPeterT said...
NO YOU ARE!

BigPeterT replied...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:58 pm :
Ok. ok whatever you say... but you are still DA MAN!

asesa234 replied...
Mar. 24, 2010 at 12:25 pm :
I absolutely agree with the author of this article and the people who do not support Michael Vick. He deserves absolutely NO slack. He was brought up in the ghetto, ok that's great and all but does he still live in the ghetto or a mulit-millon dollar mansion. You guys can't even say that he needed the money, he's a celebrity and not just a celebrity but a sports star-sport stars have a lot of money. I agree with BleedingRose. Before you people are so quick go ok what he did look a... (more »)

DellsBallas said...
I agree big peter t
you are theee man

DellsBallas said...
Well i think that Michael Vick got in a lot more trouble than he should have. Dante Stallworth killed a guy and he had to go to jail a lot less than him.

BigPeterT said...
VICK IS A BEAST. LEAVE HIM ALONE

unicornlover said...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 7:01 am:
i like vick as a qb but personaly not so much

MN Vikings said...
Mike vick is a good qb let him go

>!TheyBeShootin!< said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 8:47 am:
I disagree with sunsfan12. Mike Vick used to be my hero but he just had to be an idiot. Brandon B. would not be able to write about him if he wasn't fighting dogs in the first place!

Sunsfan12 said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 11:05 am:
I so agree with BigPeterT, really, you don't just go of writing about a NFL player who just went to prison like a few years ago.

DellsBallas said...
I also agree with you 3. Vick not a good quarterback he is a good football player and he is just a pure athlete that deserves a second chance. Just think he is the only player EVER to have 1000 rushing and passing yards in one season.

BigPeterT replied...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 1:26 pm :
IK! RIGHT!?!

IizFrozen said...
I agree with BigPeterT