Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

jreedy7 said...
Oct. 8, 2010 at 9:36 am:
i think Mike Vick deserves the attention because he has been through so much and what he did he paid the price for his dogfighting and now its time to move on and put the past behind him and let people know that he is still the guy we knew a couple years ago leading the falcons. And also he is now donating and finding stuff out for dogfight and i think about more than 100 dogfighting clubs have been found and stopped because of him    

Dylan H. said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 7:47 am:
I think Mke Vick did deserve the jailtime because, dogfighting is sick. I hate it. I dont know how people can do it. But then again i do agree that he should get a second chance like everyone should

JATBZ replied...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 1:26 am :
Yes, I think Vick was immature by pleading not guilty. however he does deserve a second chance. That was a great story. 

hurricanes said...
i now vick was wrong very very very very wrong but ever one needs a second chance and you have to think what if it was you

Sh@rK Boii said...
mike vick did a horrible thing killing dogs for fun, but he has served his time in a prison just like everyone else so i think he should get another chance at a new life in and out of the nfl

heatlebron6 said...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 8:43 am:
Well i think that Vick shouldn't have gone to jail because he did not do anything that was that bad but he should have went to jail for just for a little. Like for 3 mounths. If u watch him play with the eagals u realize of how good of a qb he is. He now got a starting job with the eagals as a qb and he is really good at the qb position.

Sh@rK Boii replied...
Sept. 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm :

i agree with you on some points but others i dont. first of all his sentance was more than fair and dog fighting is horrible. training dogs to kill? not for me

Curly_Sue replied...
Oct. 8, 2010 at 4:25 pm :
EXCUSE ME?!?! HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING BAD?!?! THAT IS TOTAL BS RIGHT THERE!!! He deserved every punishment that was given to him.

derekjones said...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 7:38 am:
i Hate the fact sence Vick fought Pit bulls everyone thinks that they are bad dog because i have 4 kids running around my house and my pitbulls wouldnt think to attack child ever.

DownWithVick said...
Vick is a joke and yea he is good at football and is a great athlete but he is sick in the head. He is the reason why people think pitbulls are bad dogs. Thats dogist. Racist againt dogs. Thats like saying all black people are mean but we all know thats not true.

Curly_Sue replied...
Oct. 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm :
well said. very well said.

DeadPeopleKinndaGrlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 11:44 am:
This is really smart and good. I loved reading it. Thanx. Plz everyone coment and rate my work. It means a lot to me when u do.

munkyman95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 11:19 am:
I know what Vick did was pretty wrong but then again... is it so much worse than the average KFC consumer? Or the fisher? Or the Moose Hunter who ran for Vice President? its unfair to give Vick a 23 month sentence because we like dogs better...itsnot like murderers receive a reduced sentence because the guy they killed was annoying

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 12:19 am :
I would like to argue with that comment, but I must admit that you have a point. I would classify killing animals for their meat, therefore for a purpose, as more honorable than killing just for entertainment, but people hunt for recreation. People hunt just for the fun of murdering lower creatures. And while I'm horrified by dogfights, you do have a point... all animals are created equal.

AvengedJasonFold said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:15 pm:
I'm a huge Eagles fan and a bigger fan of football and I hate m.Vick with a passion for what he did. The NFL should never have let him play and neither should the cheesesteak of a coach that the Eagles have. We shouldn't forget players like him, but instead make examples out of him. The NFL ought to make their players be role models instead of punks... and focus less on guys like Chad Ochocinco and TO who just talk a lot and focus more on not letting murderers ever have the honor of putting on p... (more »)

munkyman95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 11:23 am :
Right...so what you're saying is that once a criminal gets out of jail...they should not be allowed to get a job? Not allowing Vick to play would give an aloof and arrogant sense to the NFL..as it either suggests they think dog killers should not be allowed to work...or that while its okay for Vick to work somewhere else..the NFL is too important?

AvengedJasonFold replied...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 12:59 pm :
yes the NFL is too important because football players are role models whether you like that fact or not. I have been playing football for 6 years and I know very well that every player looks up to what the guys in the NFL do. If the NFL stars argue with the refs, so do we. If NFL players do a certain Touchdown dance, so do we. Vick can get a job doing something to benefit the community. Not earning millions of dollars to disgrace my favorite football team.

SillySarah replied...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 10:57 am :
Michael Vick knew what he was doing, So I believe that he deserved more time in jail, But munkyman95 has got a point. To ruin a guy's career would be wrong. I mean, what he did was so wrong, but he served his time. And yeah, people do see football players as role models but you don't have to do everything that they do.

AvengedJasonFold replied...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 6:55 pm :
Yeah so let him get any other job but the NFL. He ruined his own career. A football player should be held to higher standards because he is a role model. Vick clearly isn't a good role model.

SillySarah replied...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:44 pm :
Yes, he did ruin his own career and obviously he isn't a good role model But what he did had nothing to do with football. And good role models means nothing towards this, because other "role models" who kids look up to wear skimpy outfits and do drugs and nothing has been done about that yet either.