Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

By Brandon Bossert, Newark, DE

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

michael vick said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:07 am
your writing was very informational. Your facts were very strong i lovred this writting

on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:05 am
I think your right should he get to play football aain after torchured those dogs.

columbine said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 9:15 am
i believe this is true. micheal vick should deserve a worse punishment for dog cruelty!!! and he still gets to play football? anyone else would have been done for good, its not fair......

thesituation said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 8:59 am
I completely agree, Michael Vick needs to return to his former days before the NFL.

Curly_Sue said...
on Oct. 8 2010 at 4:26 pm
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
well said. very well said.

Curly_Sue said...
on Oct. 8 2010 at 4:25 pm
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
EXCUSE ME?!?! HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING BAD?!?! THAT IS TOTAL BS RIGHT THERE!!! He deserved every punishment that was given to him.

Curly_Sue said...
on Oct. 8 2010 at 4:24 pm
Curly_Sue, Sand Springs, Oklahoma
I think you are absolutly right. As a dog lover i feel that he should not go back to play for millions/billions of dollars. He got his chance and he blew it. I don't care if he gets some other job, I just don't want him in this one because people will start idolizing him again. It's time people see past the amazing football player.

on Oct. 8 2010 at 3:34 pm
.iloveyou. GOLD, Evansville, Wyoming

"There are but two certainties in life; death and taxes." Ben Franklin

I honestly don't think a hero should be someone who plays football. Seriously? He's just another guy, well obviously a bad guy but still just another guy nothing special, he didn't lead the world to peace, nope just won some dumb football games. Just saying, you can chose to disagree but that's my opinion.

jreedy7 said...
on Oct. 8 2010 at 9:36 am
i think Mike Vick deserves the attention because he has been through so much and what he did he paid the price for his dogfighting and now its time to move on and put the past behind him and let people know that he is still the guy we knew a couple years ago leading the falcons. And also he is now donating and finding stuff out for dogfight and i think about more than 100 dogfighting clubs have been found and stopped because of him    

JATBZ GOLD said...
on Oct. 7 2010 at 1:26 am
JATBZ GOLD, Winfield, Kansas

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.”
Mark Twain

Yes, I think Vick was immature by pleading not guilty. however he does deserve a second chance. That was a great story. 

on Oct. 4 2010 at 7:47 am
CrazyKid56 BRONZE, Fredericksburg, Virginia
I think Mke Vick did deserve the jailtime because, dogfighting is sick. I hate it. I dont know how people can do it. But then again i do agree that he should get a second chance like everyone should

hurricanes said...
on Sep. 30 2010 at 12:13 pm
i now vick was wrong very very very very wrong but ever one needs a second chance and you have to think what if it was you

Sh@rK Boii said...
on Sep. 29 2010 at 2:09 pm

i agree with you on some points but others i dont. first of all his sentance was more than fair and dog fighting is horrible. training dogs to kill? not for me

Sh@rK Boii said...
on Sep. 29 2010 at 2:02 pm
mike vick did a horrible thing killing dogs for fun, but he has served his time in a prison just like everyone else so i think he should get another chance at a new life in and out of the nfl

heatlebron6 said...
on Sep. 22 2010 at 8:43 am
Well i think that Vick shouldn't have gone to jail because he did not do anything that was that bad but he should have went to jail for just for a little. Like for 3 mounths. If u watch him play with the eagals u realize of how good of a qb he is. He now got a starting job with the eagals as a qb and he is really good at the qb position.

on Sep. 16 2010 at 7:03 pm

well what the heck, if a convicted rapist serves his time, let's let him go back to being a teacher. If a murderer serves his lenient sentence, let him go back to the streets. 

It's not like Vick was hurting himself only; if he sold drugs or if he was tax evading or something then yeah let him come back. But he is torturing living things. That's like sociopathic behavior--signs of a murderer. And I'm not one to say animals have more rights than humans, but it's pretty inhuman to torture animals.

on Sep. 16 2010 at 12:25 am
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
:) well put, serena

on Sep. 16 2010 at 12:22 am
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
Well, of course the NFL has a right not to rehire Vick. He made his choices and he was aware of possible outcomes. But he did serve his time, and I believe he should be given a second chance.

on Sep. 16 2010 at 12:19 am
bluesky0728 SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
I would like to argue with that comment, but I must admit that you have a point. I would classify killing animals for their meat, therefore for a purpose, as more honorable than killing just for entertainment, but people hunt for recreation. People hunt just for the fun of murdering lower creatures. And while I'm horrified by dogfights, you do have a point... all animals are created equal.

on Sep. 13 2010 at 7:38 am
derekjones BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
i Hate the fact sence Vick fought Pit bulls everyone thinks that they are bad dog because i have 4 kids running around my house and my pitbulls wouldnt think to attack child ever.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!