Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

Yo mamma did it said...
i agree mike vic is a horrible person

heatlebron6 replied...
Nov. 18, 2010 at 8:44 am
I dont agree he is a great person!

StupidAndFearless replied...

Why? Because he can throw and catch and run?

Michael Vick personally killed eight dogs. Using hanging, electrocution, and shooting. These dogs were dogs that refused to fight no matter how much they were abused. That was the personal part. That's not counting the number of dogs that were MURDERED by other dogs, because he starved them, prodded them, beat them, and kept them in extremely unsanitary and horrible conditions. Female dogs were strapped into stands so they could be raped rep... (more »)

balla97 said...
I LOVE HIM! MICHAEL VICK WAS INNOCENT! HIS BROTHER SET HIM UP!! FREE HIM!!!!!

heatlebron6 replied...
Nov. 18, 2010 at 8:44 am

agree

Berta said...
I completely agree!  I was unbelievable how mean and discraceful he was.  I can't believe that NFL teams want him back so fast.  It is disgusting, and I would be ashamed to have him part of my team.  Great writing!

Mowey Joel said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:15 am
I think Michael Vick deserved to go to prison and I also think he is a disgrace to Atlanta and the Falcons.

sk8r 4ever said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:08 am
in the micheal vick dogfighting story i completely agree about how he should have a longer sentence to jail even though he is out now

The Situation said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:07 am
I'm glad Michael Vick got sentanced to jail but I think he should have a harsher punishment for doing what he did. The story was very good and said what Michael Vick did.

the blogger II said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:04 am
The story was about mickael vick switting teams for 130 million dollers.

SK8 for life said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:22 am
inspring story just cause somones famous shouldnt mean they get better treatment.

lady gagasdiscostick said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:21 am
cool story

happy apple said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:18 am
I Think mikle Vick should get a bigger punishment

michael jackson said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:17 am
this is a good piece and very informational

mikey22345570 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:16 am
Mike vick should have gotten more jail time but he was the best QB the falcons had that is why those people had those signs

Keyshawn The Egg said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:15 am
I believe that Michael Vick deserved to be charged, but he still was one of the best Quarterbacks that the Falcons have ever had! Thanks for sharing this with us!

michael vick said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:07 am
your writing was very informational. Your facts were very strong i lovred this writting

happy pinapple said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:05 am
I think your right should he get to play football aain after torchured those dogs.

columbine said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:15 am
i believe this is true. micheal vick should deserve a worse punishment for dog cruelty!!! and he still gets to play football? anyone else would have been done for good, its not fair......

thesituation said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 8:59 am
I completely agree, Michael Vick needs to return to his former days before the NFL.