Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

Berta said...
I completely agree!  I was unbelievable how mean and discraceful he was.  I can't believe that NFL teams want him back so fast.  It is disgusting, and I would be ashamed to have him part of my team.  Great writing!

Mowey Joel said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:15 am:
I think Michael Vick deserved to go to prison and I also think he is a disgrace to Atlanta and the Falcons.

sk8r 4ever said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:08 am:
in the micheal vick dogfighting story i completely agree about how he should have a longer sentence to jail even though he is out now

The Situation said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:07 am:
I'm glad Michael Vick got sentanced to jail but I think he should have a harsher punishment for doing what he did. The story was very good and said what Michael Vick did.

the blogger II said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 11:04 am:
The story was about mickael vick switting teams for 130 million dollers.

SK8 for life said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:22 am:
inspring story just cause somones famous shouldnt mean they get better treatment.

lady gagasdiscostick said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:21 am:
cool story

happy apple said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:18 am:
I Think mikle Vick should get a bigger punishment

michael jackson said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:17 am:
this is a good piece and very informational

mikey22345570 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:16 am:
Mike vick should have gotten more jail time but he was the best QB the falcons had that is why those people had those signs

Keyshawn The Egg said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:15 am:
I believe that Michael Vick deserved to be charged, but he still was one of the best Quarterbacks that the Falcons have ever had! Thanks for sharing this with us!

michael vick said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:07 am:
your writing was very informational. Your facts were very strong i lovred this writting

happy pinapple said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 10:05 am:
I think your right should he get to play football aain after torchured those dogs.

columbine said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:15 am:
i believe this is true. micheal vick should deserve a worse punishment for dog cruelty!!! and he still gets to play football? anyone else would have been done for good, its not fair......

thesituation said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 8:59 am:
I completely agree, Michael Vick needs to return to his former days before the NFL.

Curly_Sue said...
I think you are absolutly right. As a dog lover i feel that he should not go back to play for millions/billions of dollars. He got his chance and he blew it. I don't care if he gets some other job, I just don't want him in this one because people will start idolizing him again. It's time people see past the amazing football player.

.iloveyou. said...
I honestly don't think a hero should be someone who plays football. Seriously? He's just another guy, well obviously a bad guy but still just another guy nothing special, he didn't lead the world to peace, nope just won some dumb football games. Just saying, you can chose to disagree but that's my opinion.

4norsemen replied...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 12:36 am :
Ok I choose to disagree. Honestly, by your definition who then is a hero? No human being or group of humans can lead the world to peace, tell me one time the world has been in peace. Peace is just a misnomer for times when some conflict isn't completly visible or noticed. I say a hero is someone who has the ability to achieve something few others can. His personal life aside Michael Vick has proven to be something of a hero on the football field.

.iloveyou. replied...
Oct. 18, 2010 at 2:41 pm :
I'm not saying that a hero is someone who lead the world to peace. I simple said that i don't feel people should be considered heros because they can play football better than anyone else. A hero does much more than that. And no reason to get grumpy, this is simply my opinion, which I'm free to voice.

4norsemen replied...
Oct. 18, 2010 at 8:51 pm :
I appologize if I came off as grumpy, I understand your opinion and respect it but I also wanted to give my opinion on the matter.