Michael Vick: No Hero This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

kjeezy10 said...
today at 8:55 pm:
Summary   Michael Vick, a NFL quarter back that used to play for the Atlanta Falcons, that got in trouble for the possession of marijuana and dogfighting.  The author believes he wasn’t punished enough and also doesn’t think he deserves another shot at the NFL.    Reaction   I agree with the author that Michael Vick wasn’t punished enough, and also that he doesn’t deserve another shot at the NFL.  The reason is because this is ver... (more »)

trav130This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 21 at 5:07 pm:
Vick has changed his life completely and is not looking back whne Nick Foles took over the starting job he handled it with class my opinion of him has changed dramaticly, what do YOU  think of him now?

Acaruso said...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:33 am:
I agree, there is no excuse for what he did. A lot of people think he should be off the hook since he is a famous football player, but he is supposed to be setting an example for others. 

LionsBlueThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
 I do not like Micheal Vick at all. That was unhumane like. He should have gone to jail for much longer. I am a falcons fan and it was a disgrace to the falcons. he made the falcons look bad, and roddy white should have never done that. ALL HAIL DOGS! 

coolcat64 said...
I agree. If he was actually inoccent, i would forgive him. But it is illegal. He deserved it.

ogabrown said...
but he is on the eagles now what that tell u

belzer said...
Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:33 am:
i understnd but look what he donated

Saul_Rocha said...
I can understand you and I was upset too, but you have to look at both sides of the story. He grew up in a poor neighborhood and once he did his months in prison, he donated half a million dollars to different dog charities. 

ting912 said...
So when a person dies from someone texting while driving they serve 14 days in jail. Thats a person, a real human, that can talk, think, and is 100% more productive than a dog. But then a couple of dogs are killed because of dog fights he gets 23 months in jail. They're dogs people, they live 100% on instinct, they do not serve a higher purpose in society. Dogs are pets, they do not help humanity in any way other than police dogs. Lets put this into prospective. The president and the governm... (more »)

FantasyTail replied...
Jan. 28 at 8:57 pm :
So your saying 14 days is an good punishment for someone who texts and drives and ends up killing another? 14 days is not nearly enough.  Also, 23 months is a dispicably short sentence. Dogs and people are different. People are able to take care of themselves, better their situations, move away from those who hinder them in any way, shape or form.  Dogs. Dogs (or animals for that matter) can NOT care for themselves. They can not better their situations. They can not move away from ... (more »)

halldj161 said...
Well i would like to say all your info is not accurate.But im going to keep this cooment short by simply saying everyone deserves second chances.People have done things way worse than Micheal Vick and did not receive punsihment like Mike Mick.We are not the people to judge one another.God is the only judge.

Kid14 said...
ummmmmm.... i dont know if you noticed but if you did your reserch you would find that had grew up in a poor hostile envorerment like me i can relate to vick what he saw. how much any want to bet that you didnt hear that ur cosin died in a dive by shooting thats my own personal experace how much you want to bet that 15% of you never played orginized sports. all im sayin is back off this mans case theres noumorous NFL players that done illeagal stuff for instace Laweranc Taylor none of you said a... (more »)

darth49ers replied...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm :
Your not seeing the big picture here. Vick did some illegal stuff and he should have been better disiplined than what he had. And besides, what does growing up in a hostile nighborhood have anything to do with this article? And Lawrence Taylor was way before Vick. So dont try and make him seem more innocent because he messed up.

Deej6595This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The transition could be smoother and you could be more argumentative but thank you for sharing your opinion. I never even knew who Michael Vick was.

dabears said...
michael vick is boss

MarieAntoinette2012 said...
Sept. 4, 2012 at 10:24 am:
Ps: You guys, This has nothing to do with race. Fact is, he knew what he was doing was wrong and illegal, and to you who say he's a great player, maybe so. But the truth is he commited a crime, he has to pay for it. Also to you who say his friends did it: None the less, he knew what they were doing was wrong and did nothing to stop it. He should never had that ring on his property, and he should not have hosted those fights.  An average player would not be allowed to play ag... (more »)

MarieAntoinette2012 said...
Sept. 4, 2012 at 10:16 am:
Agree, absolutely. I'm a huge animal rights advocate, so he boils my blood.

macNcheeze said...
Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm:
I personally love dogs, espicially pitty's, and i think what he did is terrible. However, he thoroughy apollogized for his actions aswell as doing time in prison for it. And when the time came for him to actually go to jail, he went without fussing or complaining about it and did his time quietly. He then came back the next season for the Eagles and had an amazing year. I think this jsut goes to show you that no matter how far you fall, you can always get back up

Writer_JordanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm:
I see no hero in him...you have to have some cold in your heart in order to do such a thing. Good article--many people seem ignorant to the facts of Michael Vick's past

BigBallaJohnathanW said...
May 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm:
They were his dogs i now it was bad but he had to pay for what he did.And plus that was so long ago its dumb to still be talking about