Michael Vick: No Hero MAG

By Brandon Bossert, Newark, DE

The Michael Vick saga is the story of a man who had everything and lost it all. And I cannot remember a tale more atrocious than his.

In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick to be their franchise quarterback. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick, they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many ­considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

Last year, Vick’s legal issues began to mount. In January, he was held at an airport on possession of marijuana, but tests revealed no illegal substances and he was never charged. In April, Vick was charged and convicted of dogfighting. His sentencing date – December 10th – was the same day the Falcons would play the Saints on Monday Night Football. He was sentenced to 23 months in prison.

In my opinion, this penalty is not harsh enough. By forcing innocent dogs to fight to the death, Vick has disgraced his family, the Falcons, and the city of Atlanta. Vick had a dogfighting ring on his property and mass graves for the burial of these dogs yet he initially pleaded not guilty. This is a testament to how immature Michael Vick really is.

Vick himself made me mad enough, but then I watched the Monday Night game. “Free Vick” signs were visible around the stadium. When Roddy White scored a touchdown, he displayed a “Free Mike Vick” T-shirt. I could only think, Do they know what this man did? He killed innocent animals for his own amusement. And, to me, the reaction by the Falcon fans was distasteful and atrocious. Vick deserved to be disciplined. Atlanta must realize the severity of his actions.

The Falcons and their fans need to move on. To me, Vick has played his last down in the National Football League. And rightfully so.

Michael Vick is no hero. He was an average quarterback who could run. But it’s time for the Falcons to move on and forget him.

on Apr. 17 2015 at 2:46 pm
mmmmmaaaaarrrrrkkkkk, Easley, South Carolina

“I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.” Al Pacino

First of all you all can say what you want but Michael Vick is and will always be one of the greatest quarterbacks to play the game of football. What other quarterback almost had an amusement ride made and named after them?Vick is a legend and if you really go look at it you will see that he really didnt take part in the dog fights. The fighting was just held there. Now I admit, Vick is still wrong for that but cut the man a break. You people will get mad at him for that but dont get mad at these police officers killing innocent men. If this was anyone else you wouldnt be mad so just chill.

on Apr. 10 2015 at 2:19 pm
WriterForLife SILVER, Baltimore, Maryland

The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have

Horrible example to the next generation.

on Apr. 10 2015 at 2:18 pm

Spot on. If Ray Rice gets removed from the NFL for HITTING his wife, Vick should be exiled for KILLING dogs.

bnall12 said...
on Jan. 20 2015 at 8:46 am
He's a beast on the field. I don't care what he did with dogs... Free Vick

reality said...
on Oct. 28 2014 at 1:58 pm
Guess what....he is still playing. Perhaps you need to move on and forgive him.

leem501 said...
on Sep. 26 2014 at 12:47 pm
don't talk about my father like that. joking i agree with you people

on Apr. 26 2014 at 6:21 am
Mister_J PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"Captain, I wish to report a mutiny. I can name fingers and point names." - Captain Jack Sparrow

I don't like Michael Vick for doing these kinds of things. I also don't like him because he was the Philadeplhia Eagles' quarterback (I'm a New York Giants fan) :P.

on Mar. 2 2014 at 8:55 pm
kjeezy10 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"Control what you can control"

Summary   Michael Vick, a NFL quarter back that used to play for the Atlanta Falcons, that got in trouble for the possession of marijuana and dogfighting.  The author believes he wasn’t punished enough and also doesn’t think he deserves another shot at the NFL.    Reaction   I agree with the author that Michael Vick wasn’t punished enough, and also that he doesn’t deserve another shot at the NFL.  The reason is because this is very wrong and doesn’t set a very good image of himself in the face of kids that rooted for him.  I understand what the author is saying because what he did was very wrong.  I’m not surprised that he didn’t get punished that much because important people like celebrities and famous athletes usually seem to get off easy from the horrible things they do.

trav130 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 21 2014 at 5:07 pm
trav130 BRONZE, Gridley, Illinois

"to live is gain, to die is Christ."

Vick has changed his life completely and is not looking back whne Nick Foles took over the starting job he handled it with class my opinion of him has changed dramaticly, what do YOU  think of him now?

FantasyTail said...
on Jan. 28 2014 at 8:57 pm
So your saying 14 days is an good punishment for someone who texts and drives and ends up killing another? 14 days is not nearly enough.  Also, 23 months is a dispicably short sentence. Dogs and people are different. People are able to take care of themselves, better their situations, move away from those who hinder them in any way, shape or form.  Dogs. Dogs (or animals for that matter) can NOT care for themselves. They can not better their situations. They can not move away from someone who hurts them. They are entirely dependent on their care taker. And I know you will pull that ignorant argument that wolves are able to care for themselves, therefore dogs can. Dogs do NOT have the same capacity as wolves do, they do NOT have the survival skills OR brain power that their wild ANCESTORS have. Dogs are innocent animals and become a product of their enviornment.  ALSO, dogs DO serve a higher purpose in society than just police dogs and pets. They help the sick, both physically and mentally. People with anxiety of PTSD are sometimes given dogs to help calm them down. Dogs are used as surrogates for orphaned wild animals. They offer comfort to people in their time of need, often when other humans refuse to help or acknowledge them. What Vick did was dispicalbe. These dogs could do NOTHING to stop it. They did what they were told, if they didn't they were killed. Killing an innocent creature is nothing that should pass off as remotely acceptable. By allowing vick to continue his career we teach the children of todays society that it is okay to participate in such violent and psychopathic sport. No.  it is not okay to have such insufficient punishments for human deaths. But that doesn't mean we need to lower the punishment or accept the low punishment for dog fighting or any other type of animal abuse.

Acaruso BRONZE said...
on Dec. 1 2013 at 7:33 am
Acaruso BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

"Surrender to what is. Let go of what was. Have faith in what will be." Sonia Riccoti

I agree, there is no excuse for what he did. A lot of people think he should be off the hook since he is a famous football player, but he is supposed to be setting an example for others. 

EchoSong said...
on Nov. 15 2013 at 8:20 pm
and one more thing, WHOO-HOO Alice_L on being full vegan!!! I am just a strict vegitairian but we have our own chickens and use a local dairy which is crulty free and very responsible! 

Echosong said...
on Nov. 15 2013 at 8:15 pm
I would like to make the point that the fact that you said that "Hunters respect life and the beauty it brings" is utterly and completly  Ridiculous!!! how do they respect life by KILLING it??!!

EchoSong said...
on Nov. 15 2013 at 8:03 pm
I agree, Especialy about people being blinded by being footbal fans! what he did wasnt incredibly unhumane and sickining, i hope he understands that! just because they are animals doesnt mean that you can treat them like they dont matter or that they dont have lives they should be happily living!!!! the dog fighting was bad enough but what relyy hurt me was when I found out that he had been MURDERING the ones that woulng lose!!! I started crying

hope:) said...
on Nov. 15 2013 at 7:53 pm
totally agree! Im a vegitarian and a total animal lover  and I think that dogs and cows or chickens are not that different! no that what he did wasnt wrong! It was revolting and dispicable, but animal rights MUST be stod for! and caedanse no offense but their is always the vegitairian option to feed our country.

LionsBlue said...
on Nov. 14 2013 at 12:58 pm
LionsBlue, Henrico, Virginia

Lion does not laugh
At Mouse now,
Now he knows.

I do not like Micheal Vick at all. That was unhumane like. He should have gone to jail for much longer. I am a falcons fan and it was a disgrace to the falcons. he made the falcons look bad, and roddy white should have never done that. ALL HAIL DOGS! 

coolcat64 said...
on Nov. 12 2013 at 4:01 pm
I agree. If he was actually inoccent, i would forgive him. But it is illegal. He deserved it.

ogabrown said...
on Sep. 9 2013 at 12:58 pm
but he is on the eagles now what that tell u

belzer said...
on Apr. 16 2013 at 10:33 am
i understnd but look what he donated

darth49ers said...
on Feb. 12 2013 at 8:12 pm
Your not seeing the big picture here. Vick did some illegal stuff and he should have been better disiplined than what he had. And besides, what does growing up in a hostile nighborhood have anything to do with this article? And Lawrence Taylor was way before Vick. So dont try and make him seem more innocent because he messed up.

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!