Bass Fishing | Teen Ink

Bass Fishing

February 5, 2013
By spidermonkey199711 BRONZE, Hemet, California
spidermonkey199711 BRONZE, Hemet, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I believe, if done right, bass fishing is the most fun and exciting sport in the entire world. I love that there are so many variables. Most people tend to think fishing is just putting a worm on a hook, casting, and waiting. Only a few people understand and have the addiction to fishing. My dream is to turn fishing into a living so I can make money doing it.

There are so many variables that effect bass fishing. The first is the temperature. When it is extremely hot some bass will stay shallow in cover like grass mats and tulles while most move down in the water column and become less active. In extremely cold weather the bass the majority of fish will move deep and become sluggish to the point of not eating.

Another variable to bass fishing is what the fish are feeding on. Some days they might be in a couple feet of water feeding on crawdads, bugs, etc. While other days they may be over a couple hundred feet of water feeding on schools of shad. Bass can and will eat just about anything they can fit in their oversized mouths including trout, shad, various minnows, crawdads, frogs, bugs, bluegill, smaller bass, and even birds.

The vast choice of baits mimicking these foods can be ridiculously overwhelming. An easy way to simplify them is to arrange them into three groups. There are topwater baits that stay on the surface such as spooks, most plugs, buzzbaits, poppers, wakebaits, surface frogs etc. There are bottom baits that are worked on the bottom such as jigs, most worms, Texas rig setups etc. There are also mid-depth baits that are worked in between the surface and the bottom such as crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, swimjigs, most trout and bluegill imitating swimbaits etc.

There are many different times and places to effectively use these baits. So many in fact that it would probably take somebody days to list every single situation. If I could give any piece of advice it would be to find out what the fish are feeding on and mimic it to the best of your ability. If you follow this one simple hint you will definitely catch more fish.

Fishing is a great hobby to get involved in. It leads to more time outside surrounded by beautiful scenery and tons of excitement if done right. I am absolutely obsessed with fishing and I believe it is a lot of fun if you actually catch fish. Just remember to do your research on where you are going fishing, learn whenever you can, and you will be sure to catch more fish.


The author's comments:
Fishing is my favorite thing in the entire world. I am very eager to learn anything i can.