Marching Band Should Be Considered a Sport

When the average person thinks of sports they think of football, soccer, baseball, hockey, or basketball. Yeah those are all great sports, but what about those sports that aren't sports, but should be? Marching band should be considered a sport for many reasons. Marching band fits all the definitions for a sport (and it follows them to perfection). There are many statistics to reveal marching band is a sport and how hard the members work. As a member of the FMHS Wildcat Marching Band, I know we put forth an asonishing amount of time and practice to become he great athletes we are today.

One of the most commonly accepted definitions of a sport activity is: "a physical activity which involves propelling a mass through space or over coming the resistance of a mass." In marching band, the color guard (the girls with the flags, etc.) toss flags, rifles, sabers, etc. into the air. And those instruments! Some can weigh fifty pounds or more! The one I had was at least twenty pounds. That's definitely more than football gear!

Another definition is, "a contest or competition against or with an opponent." There are many competitive marching bands out there that compete against countless opponents at each show. One of the best competitive marching band shows is the World Championship Finals, publicized each year on ESPN (a sports channel), just like other sports. There are more than 400,000 fans at each live event.

There are many studies evaluating how much marching band members perform. One study shows one marching band member, during a parade, works harder than a football player does during a game. When conmpared to a parade, a marching band member works about twice as hard in a field show.

Another study shows that marching band members actually NEED skills! One member needs to work every part and muscle of their body. A member needs to know how to properly march, have their music completely memorized, count, move, play, and remember what to do before and after the show, all at the same time. How many football players can count and catch a ball at the same time? Sure they have to remember the play, but that's just one thing. Football players need skills too, but they don't need as many. Marching band members have to remember at least six things all at once. One member can multi-task better than any other athlete in another sport.

As a member of a marching band, I know how hard we all work. In one season, I drank four times a much water then when we weren't practicing. I also lost ten pounds in one season. We practiced daily for hours upon end. I can lift heavier things now then I could before,

In summary, is marching band a physical activity? Yes. Is marching band undertaken competitivley? Yes. It fits all the definitions of a sport, right? Yes! There are more definitions and statistics but I don't want to bore you. So, the next time you are walking down the hallway and you see someone with a lettermans jacket that says "Band" don't think "What a band geek," think, "What a great athlete!"

LegionOfLife said...
Yes! I am in the lincoln East marching band and i was having an argument about this with my football friends. lol i will print this out and show them.

cliffie11 replied...
Sept. 30, 2013 at 9:46 am
it is not a sport it goes through the music program not hte sports program  

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 10 at 7:30 pm
It counts as a PE credit at my school.

Le Pish said...
Hi, I've been reading through some of the comments and really I just have to say, Marching Band is a sport, but it is not like a registered(physical like football etc.) sport. You see, many things are registered as a sport which can be argued about it's validity, like chess and NASCAR, and all that good stuff. Speaking as a band kid(alto/tenor sax) and as an athlete(varsity Rowing), the amount of physical work in band does not compete with the amount in rowing. Now, I'm surely going to get some ... (more »)

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:20 am
Very inspirational and convincing! Great work!

Emmy~Char said...
May 16, 2013 at 12:03 am
At my school Marching band is our phys ed. And I play trumpet, it doesn't weigh that much, but holding it in the position hurts sometimes. I don't really understand why people think band geeks are weird.? We work almost as hard as the football players. It isn't the football field, it's the marching band field.

botdfvanitylover replied...
I agree, at my highschool we have 4 blocks, and marching band countgs as my phys ed too

svage29flee said...
Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:34 am
what i really want is for ESPN to feature DCI again ...

lala1016 replied...
DCI needs to be on ESPN.

emmamusic replied...
Jun. 20 at 11:54 am
It totally does!

gymnastics said...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:02 am
GYMNASTICS TAKES MORE MULTITASKING THAN MARCHING BAND WILL EVER HAVE. they can actually defy gravity and do cool things, while also keeping time to music

Emmy~Char replied...
Gymnastics may be tough at times, but you don't have to play an insturment do you? unless you're doing rhythmic gymnastics, which btw isn't that hard, I would know. And you're not in a heater (Uniform) like marching band uniforms. Lol.

UltimatePowaaa replied...
Band kids have to hold up their instrument properly (horn angle), AND watch the drum major, AND count, AND keep intervals with the people around them, AND have seven or more minutes of music memorized and accessible in their brains (not to mention the players that have solos), AND march correctly (roll step), all while playing their instrument. All of that would be impossible for a normal person to manage without the months of training it takes to achieve, not to mention the years of practice it... (more »)

music11 replied...
I would love to see you try to hold a 20-40 pound instrament for 30 minutes (AT LEAST). While actualy PLAYING music, and its so much more than that. UltimatePowaaa did'nt even explain 1/12th of what we have to do. I don't know what your even talking about. Gymnastics... You have to twirl yourself around, watch where your hands, and feet are, and maybe you have to count music, but we do too. Seiriously. try not even looking at your hands and feet. Come on.

cosmopaige said...
I have a daughter in Colorguard/Winterguard/Marching Band, and her team is never recognized and never considered in a local newspaper or any sports article. It is BS that it's not recognized more. The kids totally deserve the recognition.

simmerssc said...
Hi, i am also in marching band and i was writing an essay to give to my school board to get marching band to count as a gym credit/sport and i wanted to know where you found "As a study shows, football players"...

palor replied...
Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:44 am
My school counts marching band as a fine arts credit and a sports credit. I'm sure you can do it!

cloudninja said...
I am marching band too and I say this is a true statement.

Marchingbandperson said...
I almost fainted twice this year, once last year. In gym, during the summer, when it was 90 degrees, the football players couldn't take it, but thanks to band camp, it was too easy...

flutastic said...
in our school, if someone says "mb is easy" then they have to go thru a day of band camp and a practice with us.