Marching Band Should Be Considered a Sport

When the average person thinks of sports they think of football, soccer, baseball, hockey, or basketball. Yeah those are all great sports, but what about those sports that aren't sports, but should be? Marching band should be considered a sport for many reasons. Marching band fits all the definitions for a sport (and it follows them to perfection). There are many statistics to reveal marching band is a sport and how hard the members work. As a member of the FMHS Wildcat Marching Band, I know we put forth an asonishing amount of time and practice to become he great athletes we are today.

One of the most commonly accepted definitions of a sport activity is: "a physical activity which involves propelling a mass through space or over coming the resistance of a mass." In marching band, the color guard (the girls with the flags, etc.) toss flags, rifles, sabers, etc. into the air. And those instruments! Some can weigh fifty pounds or more! The one I had was at least twenty pounds. That's definitely more than football gear!

Another definition is, "a contest or competition against or with an opponent." There are many competitive marching bands out there that compete against countless opponents at each show. One of the best competitive marching band shows is the World Championship Finals, publicized each year on ESPN (a sports channel), just like other sports. There are more than 400,000 fans at each live event.

There are many studies evaluating how much marching band members perform. One study shows one marching band member, during a parade, works harder than a football player does during a game. When conmpared to a parade, a marching band member works about twice as hard in a field show.

Another study shows that marching band members actually NEED skills! One member needs to work every part and muscle of their body. A member needs to know how to properly march, have their music completely memorized, count, move, play, and remember what to do before and after the show, all at the same time. How many football players can count and catch a ball at the same time? Sure they have to remember the play, but that's just one thing. Football players need skills too, but they don't need as many. Marching band members have to remember at least six things all at once. One member can multi-task better than any other athlete in another sport.

As a member of a marching band, I know how hard we all work. In one season, I drank four times a much water then when we weren't practicing. I also lost ten pounds in one season. We practiced daily for hours upon end. I can lift heavier things now then I could before,

In summary, is marching band a physical activity? Yes. Is marching band undertaken competitivley? Yes. It fits all the definitions of a sport, right? Yes! There are more definitions and statistics but I don't want to bore you. So, the next time you are walking down the hallway and you see someone with a lettermans jacket that says "Band" don't think "What a band geek," think, "What a great athlete!"

Axela17 said...
At my school marching band is considered a sport and if you take it for two years, you don't have to participate in gym class. It's nice to be recognized for all the hard work we do. :)

MarykThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 21, 2015 at 9:23 am
That is good if it is a credit for a school, what concerns me is the hyper competitors who want marching bands to be so sport-like you loose site of the creative and artistic side of the art form. Even brass corps have this same issue on a very high stake. Drum Corps International is like the N.F.L or N.C.A.A of the brass corps which means trouble for independent marching bands and corps indoor or outdoor. Every time a band or brass corp does a show that they worked hard on, they get judged and ... (more »)

Airplane1000000 said...
I think Marching Band should be considered a sport. I'm not saying it's better than football or it's brutal or whatever, but we work hard too! Our coach makes us run laps around the school and has us do push-ups, planks, stretches, etc. Plus, we work in the hot sun 8 hours a day, every day. And I get very tired from it. What's with Marching Band that makes it NOT a sport? It's very underrated. That's why everybody talks about how it shouldn't be a sport. What do they know about it? And BTW, I kn... (more »)

Music, Dance, Form, Choreography,Creativity that is what separates marching band being a sport. It is a art that is always innovating and changing just like any other genre of art

IDontDab replied...
Mar. 27 at 1:10 pm
Not really. Figure skating, for example, is one of the events in the Winter Olympics. What does figure skating involve? Music, Dance, Form, Choreography, and Creativity. If figure skating is classified as a sport, marching band should be as well.

Tanner N. said...
Marching band can be a sport when you have 200 pound linemen chasing you down.

Good point! I rather have a marching band go hit the stage than go on the field.

batmanforever replied...
Mar. 9, 2015 at 11:24 am
told you @Maryk

Mar. 10, 2015 at 9:59 am
Therefore we finally know that musicians are way more intelligent than the Romans. Who had terrible ethics when it came down to rules in sports, and a plenty of hazing in their own army. We have come far as musicians and anyone who claims hazing, competition, and harassment as tradition they are clearly a Roman.

Thor replied...
May 15, 2015 at 9:57 am
I suppose baseball, track, basketball, and volleyball will be sports when they "Have 200 pound lineman chasing them down" as if that makes something a sport. Sure.

You are a Roman if you even think Marching Band is a sport, shame on you and your assumptions and lack of information of the psychology and sociology of this issue and its impact

Susan replied...
you've obviously never been in Marching Band

Xenos replied...
Maryk, what the hell have you been unleashing on this comment section? Would you tell me Ballroom Dancing is more of a sport than Marching Band because it's on the official sports list and marching band is not? Give me one unarguable reason why it cannot be a sport and I will stop while I'm ahead

tye1468 replied...
@Maryk obviously you have not seen one practice so shame on you

ScarletCityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
@Maryk which side are you on? you are defending both sides...

bandgeek15 replied...
Jan. 11 at 12:02 pm
ballroom is a sport and you still don't have linemen chasing you then

mnmband29 said...
This essay is amazing. I am in marching band at my highschool. I am a freshman but was invited to join in the seventh grade. I never understood what members of a marching band endured during band camp. daily practices, Friday night football games, and Saturday morning competitions. I am about to start writing an essay with the same point as this. Marching band fits every definition of sport.It is most definitely in need of more support. Memorizing music, counts, rests, horn flashes, visuals, and... (more »)

Before you make your essay I advise that you talk about the artistic and creative aspects that make marching band not a sport but an art-form and the consequences of trying to make it a sport. I have found evidence of the fact that some organizations like Drum Corps International and even collage marching bands want to put the creative part on the side and market bands and brass corps like sports teams.However the flip side of the coin is the show Blast which makes the marching band have a more ... (more »)

8th Grade Marcher said...
Jan. 5, 2015 at 11:52 am
Thanks! Marching Band is a sport and it IS the hardest sport. I don't understand what people don't get about that. Memorizing music AND memorizing marching sets is harder than running down a field or court with a ball.

My concern with the idea of marching band even being a sport is that the artistic and musical creativity of being a musician gets overtaken by competition and over perfection. Imagine if your a really creative and compassionate person that worked really hard and instead of your group getting credit and phrase, the director that has more money, harasses students, and let's others get away with bulling and name calling gets all the credit. In these situations of competition and sport, the power an... (more »)