Senior Plans Future through Recruitment Process | Teen Ink

Senior Plans Future through Recruitment Process

By Lauren Prodoehl BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Lauren Prodoehl BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Katie Duranso, senior at Arrowhead High School, just wrapped up her last season as a Warhawk. Duranso excelled as a swimmer all four years at Arrowhead as well as in the pool at the Natatorium in Madison every year at Girl’s High School State swimming and diving. Duranso’s top three performances were freshman year conference 50 free, freshman year sectionals 50 free and senior year sectionals in 200 free relay. At the close at her season, Duranso will become a Panther at Florida International University where she will continue her swimming career.

Duranso was contacted by about 25 coaches who had communicated with her by either email or phone.
“Through all the schools that contacted me, I only seriously talked to about seven colleges,” said Duranso, Florida International University was one of them.

After talking to several universities, Duranso was invited on five official visits in which the university would fly her out and she would spend a weekend with the team and coaches. Florida International University was the first stop on the list for Duranso.

The process was short and sweet for Duranso. When she arrived at the campus, she immediately knew that the university is where she belongs.
“The second I was on campus and meeting the coaches and team face to face, I knew it was the right school for me. It just felt right, I guess you could say,” said Duranso.
After Durano’s official visit to Florida International University, she cancelled all other recruit visits she had planned and did not go on any more.
“I absolutely knew it was where I was supposed to be, and I then committed to the university and team,” said Duranso.
Now an official athlete of the 2016 class, the Florida International University coaches contact Duranso about once a week to hear updates on her swimming and health, as well to inform her about their team.
The coaches and Duranso are also in contact regarding Duranso’s swimming scholarship. Duranso may also receive academic scholarships from the university, but she is still waiting to hear if she was accepted.
“My goals are to make it to NCAA and hopefully Olympic Trials. I think I will do very well because the coaches are so amazing and the other girls have all improved a lot since they got there,” said Duranso.
As Duranso entered the recruitment process, she was ready for an overwhelming process and a lot of confusion. But, she says, her journey was short and sweet.