Giving Attention to the Cheerleading team | Teen Ink

Giving Attention to the Cheerleading team

January 21, 2013
By alyssa.wiese PLATINUM, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
alyssa.wiese PLATINUM, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
25 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Arrowhead’s cheerleading team is preparing for homecoming. The girls practice regularly for weekly games, homecoming, and competitions. And with homecoming on October 12, the girls have been working to get everything perfect.
As homecoming creeps closer, all of Arrowhead is preparing for the big weekend. But some of the hardest workers are the ones who are overlooked. And these workers are the cheerleaders.

Arrowhead is known for its incredible education and athletics. When students think of Arrowhead’s sports, they think of these basic sports: football, basketball, and soccer. But what many students fail to acknowledge is the cheerleading team.

The cheerleaders work hard every week for the games they cheer in, the competitions against other schools, and homecoming.

Junior Alyssa Stachowiak says, “It’s a lot of work. But I like being in cheer because we are all one big family and I love the feeling of winning.”

She says, “I like cheerleading because I have done cheerleading since I was in middle school; it’s second nature to me.”
However, Stachowiak says Arrowheads behavior towards cheerleaders can be disheartening.
She said, “People at Arrowhead don’t really like us. We are unappreciated no matter how hard we work.”
The cheerleaders practice three times a week and four times a week during competition for two hours.