Golden Ball | Teen Ink

Golden Ball

By JTompa BRONZE, Belle Mead, New Jersey
JTompa BRONZE, Belle Mead, New Jersey

Stay golden Ponyboy

A leather inflated ball can be anything, but this ball is a soccer ball. It feels like a volleyball or a large baseball, smooth with the exception of the stitches. When closely viewing the ball one can see where hundreds of threads lie so closely intertwined holding together three patches. This soccer ball has attended every recreational game I have ever played. When first seeing a soccer ball it is like looking through a black and white lens. It is a medium sized spherical object covered in black and white hexagons. The white hexagons are now a golden yellow due to the sandy pitch we play on. My initials continue to fade with every touch of the foot. I have full control over my soccer ball; whether I decide to deflate or inflate the ball to a pressure worth playing with. On one of the hexagons it has a tiny circle surrounded by writings of product information, where the air is pumped into. There are different sizes for different ages; size five is suggested for ages thirteen and up, but everyone can join in at any size. This ball to me is like Charlie Sheen to Two and a Half Men; important. It is amazing how at first soccer balls were just like any object that one could kick. Now they are a complex setup, containing thirty-two panels, even including a waterproof layer. Out of the thirty-two black and white unevenly distributed hexagons, only twenty-seven remain. My mother yelled at me, “Throw that soccer ball away, it is falling apart,” but I cannot let go.

I'm not much of a writer