Micheal Vick: A Hero | Teen Ink

Micheal Vick: A Hero

By Stacy James SILVER, Orlando, Florida
Stacy James SILVER, Orlando, Florida

The Michael Vick saga is a story that is conflicting, controversial, but also is inspiring. His life story is about a man who started with nothing, then got it all, but then had to lose everything to see how special he is.

During the late 90’s Michael Vick was an aspiring quarterback. To locals he was known as the man who would let the world know about Newport News, Virginia. Already a house hold name Michael Vick entertered Virginia Tech as a starting quarterback in 1999. In 2001, the Atlanta Falcons selected Vick as the 1st draft pick. He was seen as the savior of the team. The Falcons were so sure about Vick; they traded a shot at getting LaDainian Tomlinson, who many -considered the best running back in the NFL. After the 2002 season, when Vick led the Falcons to the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and beat Brett Favre in Lambeau Field, he received the biggest contract in NFL history: $130 million for 10 years. The following year, Vick missed most of the season with a broken ankle. In 2004, he led Atlanta to the NFC Championship but fell short.

After several years in the NFL Vick’s legal issues began to mount in early 2004. After several airport bust, and illegal substance charges, Michael Vick’s public image began to drop. Things took a turn for the worst in 2007 after a FBI search warrant was issued in relation to a drug investigation on one of Vick’s family relatives led to discovery of evidence of unlawful dog fighting activities at a property owned by the NFL quarterback. Media attention quickly grew as state officials investigated, soon joined by federal authorities. Gruesome details of abuse, torture and execution of under-performing dogs galvanized animal rights activists and expressions of public outrage. Later in the on in the year it was made definite that Vick would indeed serve jail time in federal prison after the football star accepted a plea deal made by the FBI.

After 24 months in prison, Michal Vick came from prison as what it seemed a changed man. Though not on probation Vick participates and volunteers for charities and organizations involved with animal rights. After away from the game for 3 years Michal Vick returned 2009. Though it seemed his public image could never return to the way it was Vick has showed constant gratitude and sorrow for the crime he committed.

Michael Vick is a hero, though all his actions have not been right. It is clear he is truly sorry for the things he has done.