Road to State | Teen Ink

Road to State

November 26, 2012
By Bmattson23 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Bmattson23 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On August 30th, Girls Varsity Field Hockey beat University School of Milwaukee, 1-0.

USM hasn’t lost a game in three years.

“Our first team goal was to beat USM,” said junior Elle, “but our overall goal is definitely to win state.”

This year the girls field hockey team is extremely young, with five freshmen, Sam, Sam, Abby, Kelsey, and Callie, all getting a lot of playing time so far this season.

The leading scorers to date on the team are senior, Lauren and sophomore, Laura each averaging one goal per game.

Team captains leading the 2012 Girls Field Hockey team are junior, Elle, senior, Carly, and senior, Kayla. Another huge accomplishment for the girls was entering the St. Louis Gateway Classic tournament and winning it all. There were approximately fifty teams from all across the United States competing.

They are hoping for a better outcome than last year. The girls lost in the semi-finals to USM and also had a rough season, Carly said, “Last year was a transition year for us..we lost some great players and gained a lot of freshmen that didn’t have any varsity experience. This year we are more experienced and at a higher level and we have a chance of getting to state and taking home a championship! As a team that is our main goal.”

Their next game is on Friday at USM at 5:30 against USM’s varsity reserve team. So far their record is 4-1-1 and they are hoping to make that 5-1-1 Friday.