Rippin’ and Kickin’: 2012 Men’s Soccer | Teen Ink

Rippin’ and Kickin’: 2012 Men’s Soccer

November 26, 2012
By JohnnyM24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
JohnnyM24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The boys soccer team made it to the regional round in the playoffs last year and lost a eight seniors (Nate, Jack, Matt, Kevin, Derek, Eric, Patrick and Mike) and this year’s senior Matt to a season ending injury.

Zach, this year’s captain, says they are “Coming off a record of 13-7-2, (but) we’re ready to win state this year.

However, Zach says Matt’s presence will be missed: “I’d say it was a real blow for us at the beginning of the season not having his talent and energy on the field. But as the season goes on he’s still a key part for firing up and getting us ready to play.”

“Team looks good, we have some great returning players,” said Self. “Some great key returnees we have this year are Mitch, Sam, Steve, Zach, Colin and Colin.”

“Our biggest rivals are Kettle Moraine, we lost to them the last two years but we have the potential to beat them this year,” said Zach.

This year, the team beat the previously 10-0 Mukwonago team.

During that game, “Mitch tickled the twine for the fans, with a great upper 90 rip. Overall though a good game with a great defense to get the shutout,” Zach said.

Last year’s senior Sievert passed away during a freak skiing accident. Zach said this will hurt the team emotionally.

Colin says, about Sievert, “He was a great player. His loss not only affected the soccer program but the the community as well. He was a great soccer player.”

But Colin still has hope for the rest of this season: “We need the confidence to keep winning this year. We are hoping to make a run for the state title, we just got to stay focused. With the great weapons we have I believe we can win state.”