Smack! | Teen Ink

Smack!

By Zeggy88 BRONZE, Hemet, California, California
Zeggy88 BRONZE, Hemet, California, California

It's not what people think about you its what you think about yourself.

“Smack!” My hand lies across the ball like a pancake getting cooked on the pan. I flick my
wrist to make sure the ball gets top spin. With how hard I hit the ball and plus my top spin it’s
like a Nolan Ryan just threw a 99 mph fastball. I have been playing volleyball for almost three
years now and it is very hard to be a freshman on varsity which I have accomplished now going
in to my sophomore year. Volleyball used to be a sport for me a hobby my get away. It has
turned into something much more than that. Its turned into a way of life.

My dad quoted me on something in the gym one day he said this “Remember, if you’re not
playing your heart out and giving it your all, someone else is. You will meet him, and you will
lose.” I train, everyday why? Practice isn’t glory, but without practice there is no glory. That’s
I live by I will be that kid giving his all and give you the beating of a life time. “Smack” goes the
ball as I hit again. “Smack” goes my arms as I’m forced to dig a devastating ball. “Smack” goes
goes my body as I hit the floor with the perfect pancake. “Smack” goes the coaches hand as he
is patting me on the back with my outstanding victory.

Volleyball for me is my valentine. My Jenny to my Forest Gump. Volleyball is my Juliet and I
am Romeo giving my life for her every day. Volleyball is my love. My sense of home. Volleyball
is my get away. My hobby, my friend, my diary. You see, games don’t make legends practice
does. Of course I give it my all during games. But I go 110% during practice. My dad has taught
me growing up is hard. Especially in my teenage years. I might not be the greatest volleyball
player, but in my mind I will be.

People always say to me, “Zach you hit so good, with nice control who taught you.” It’s
shocking to say myself during a lot of practice and a lot of tips from my volleyball friends. I am a very confident person not cocky. I am the varsity player, the freshman but I’m just stating my facts. Volleyball is my one love. Volleyball has beaten the snot out of me, and I have beaten the snot out of it. But volleyball has not only taught me how to be athletic but how to be a man.
Volleyball is my life.