Ballroom Dancing | Teen Ink

Ballroom Dancing

Ballroom Dancing
By Elina Rozentsvayg

The public first discovered ballroom dance in 1588 when a publicist named Jehan Tabourot recorded it in his Orchesographie, a book were he recorded his study of the late 16th renaissance social dance. The words ”ballroom dancing” originated from the Latin word ballare , which means to dance. Years ago, ballroom dancing was considered social dancing for higher class people, leaving folk dancing for the lower classes. Now ballroom dancing is available for all ages. The competitions are held in a large room called a ballroom.

There are two different styles in of ballroom dancing, such as, Standard and Latin. Standard Ballroom Dancing includes the dances Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Viennese Waltz, and Tango. Latin consists of five dances. Cha-Cha, Samba, Rumba, Jive, and Paso Doble. Both styles are very different from one another. Standard is more of an elegant style of dance and Latin is the more wild and outgoing style of dance where it’s easy to show of your personality. Both style of dances are enjoyed by everyone who dances them and also by the audience.

Ballroom Dancing is a very difficult and challenging sport. It involves physical strength and elegance at the same time. Many people think that Ballroom Dancing isn’t a sport and that it’s easy to do. Its not. . Ballroom dancing is for everyone who will take the time to commit to it. If you don’t have the passion for it there is no point of dancing. Dancing comes from the heart, not from your brain.

My hobby is ballroom dance and i just want people to see it as a sport and hard work not just moving your feet without thinking. I hope this piece gives you some back round info about this sport. Enjoy!