The History of Michael Jordan | Teen Ink

The History of Michael Jordan

By James Bond BRONZE, Fairhope, Alabama
James Bond BRONZE, Fairhope, Alabama

There is no doubt that Michael Jeffrey Jordan was one the greatest basketball players in history. He went into the NBA as a rookie and killed it by scoring ball after ball. It didn’t matter if it was a 3 point, a dunk, or a two point, he would make it. Along the way, he grew into a champion and amazed the NBA with on court abilities, as well as sense of style. Michael Jordan was also able to create his own shoe brand and star in the hit movie “Space Jam”. Yes, Michael Jordan is the best and always will be.

Although he was born in Brooklyn, his was really raised in North Carolina. He has a real special bond with his dad James Jordan. Even though Michael and his father both had a passion for baseball, he wanted to follow in his brother, Larry’s, footsteps. So he started playing basketball. He played at Laney High School, but at 5” 11’ and a sophomore, he was cut from the varsity team. But just before junior year, he had grown to 6” 3’ and that is where he began his way to champion status. As a sophomore, he was given the title of College Player of the year, same for junior year. After junior year he was the third pick in the NBA draft and went to the Chicago Bulls. After years and years went by, Michael Jordan just got better and better, averaging about 28.2 points per game. He eventually changed it to 30.4 points per game. He also earned many awards such as NBA rookie of the year and MVP of the year. Above all, Michael Jordan certainly recognized his place the game of basketball. In his book, called The Love of the Game, he wrote: “There is no such thing as a perfect basketball player and I don’t believe there is only greatest player either. Everyone plays in different eras. I built my talents on the shoulders of someone else’s talents. I believe greatness is an evolutionary process that changes and evolves era to era.” Michael Jordan has achieved so much not just by his career, but the person inside he was, and that makes all the difference.