Homerun | Teen Ink

Homerun

May 22, 2012
By Gabby444 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Gabby444 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some people try to tell you that you can't, I say watch me! - Unknown
Life sucks, then you die. - Stephenie Meyer's book Breaking Dawn


Off an on the weather went from bright and sunny, to cold and cloudy. Just like any other game day goes. This was just the start to my best day. Softball is a major part of my life. As I get ready to start playing, all the teams I play, against our defense and offense, and how we win our games. All played a big contribution to our success against a small rival team.

During the warm-ups before our game my team and myself were a little off our game. It didn’t feel like this was going to be a fun game. I was comparing our sloppy warm-ups to, the other team, and it seemed like they came here to win. They looked to be pretty promising. There was a worried feeling that we weren’t on the same level with Byron. All of our attitudes were negative.

Byron and Cannon Falls were on two very different playing fields. We felt losing was inevitable, before the game even started. Our coach tried to cheer us up before going onto the field. But that only went so far. Now it’s time to put our skills to the test.

Our attitudes were better, but now it’s time to play defense. I’m the pitcher for our team so I either strike them out, or let them hit ground balls. The first couple innings were fine and the score was still tied at 0-0. Our spirits skyrocketed now knowing that we might actually have a shot at winning.

Once we noticed the other pitcher starting to struggle at the top of the 3rd inning, we had to start taking advantage of this. She had to start putting the pitches in the strike zone. The first four batters all hit the ball, and there's a girl at 2nd and 3rd. It is my turn to hit. Batting is one of my favorite things to do. So I get ready in the batter’s box. She pitches the first pitch, but something is different about this one. I swing and there’s a great connection. It’s so good it doesn’t stop until it hits the ground on the other side of the fence. Everyone is yelling and screaming. This is the most happiest moment in my softball career.

Now the rest of the batters go up to the plate ,and it looks pretty good from here. As the 4th inning comes around the score is now 14-4. We’re up on Byron, all we need is to keep them at 4 runs and it’s over. So we hold are defence and there's one strikeout, and then a groundout to second where we get her out. All that’s left is one last batter. I put it in the strike zone, and she hits it. Our center fielder is sprinting, and makes the catch. So many of us are in such great relief, especially me!

Struggles helped push me and my team for fighting for this win. Getting into the positive mind set was what made us come out victorious. Even when are starting warm-ups weren't great, or how Byron’s were, our defense and offense played a big role in our win. Softball is a major part of my life, and I never want it to end. I learned to always start the game with a positive attitudes and hope to win. In whatever weather you may face that day. You never know what might happen.