Mind Over Body | Teen Ink

Mind Over Body

By SamIgwe_80 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
SamIgwe_80 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Okay, your whole season comes down to this last play. You are down by five, your team started the drive midfield and for three straight plays were three straight incompletions, so now it is 4th down and 10 yards to go. Your team has 30 seconds left, which is enough time to give you a few chances at the end zone. You are playing the position of running back. Running the ball and getting hit by vicious linebackers and defensive lineman has taken its toll physically and mentally and both are conflicting with each other. Your body tells you that enough is enough and that you should take a break this play since it is a passing situation any way, but your mind won’t have it. Your mind tells you to dig deep inside of yourself and regardless of the outcome; you well finish the same way you started, which is strong.

The play has been carried from coach to quarterback and the quarterback is rallying the play to the rest of the unit. You hear the play and just as you expected, the coach elects to pass. Your body feels heavy and it screams louder and louder for a break but your mind tells you to get set and to get ready to attack anybody who manages to get through the front lines. The quarterback begins to shout out the cadence “black 80!, Black 80!” and your and body is starting to win you over because your mind is beginning to become less convincing but you mind refuses to give up. “Set Hut” the quarterback yells as he begins to step back. You are still favoring your body but your mind allows you to be aware of what is going on. Your mind begins to fight back and allows you to move your feet. Your mind wins yet another battle when threw yourself against a defensive lineman going to sack your quarterback, giving the quarterback enough time to get the ball off. As you get up, you see the quarterback launching the ball in the air and it is caught by a receiver. He runs downfield and scores the touchdown with 10 seconds remaining. You then, realize which the stronger power is: The mind or the body.

This is a piece I came up with when I was in the backyard playing football. I have been playing football for 7 years now and I want to teach the reader how your mind can be Stronger than your body. my goal is to put the reader in the shoes of a running back on the field, who has been stricken with fatigue as he tries to finish the way he started which is strong.