Magic Johnson | Teen Ink

Magic Johnson

May 8, 2012
By Anonymous

Magic Johnson was a point guard for the Los Angeles Lakers from 1979 to 1996. He was the first overall pick in the 1919 NBA draft. He won the NBA Finals and the Most Valuable Player award in that series in his rookie season. Later he won four more championships with the Lakers. Johnson's career achievements include three NBA MVP Awards, nine NBA Finals appearances, twelve All-Star games, and ten All-NBA First and Second Team nominations. He led the league in regular-season assists four times, and is the NBA's all-time leader in average assists per game, at 11.2 apg. Johnson was a member of the "Dream Team", the U.S. basketball team that won the Olympic gold medal in 1992. Johnson was honored as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996. Johnson signed a 25-year, $25-million contract with the Lakers, which was the highest-paying contract in sports history up to that point. He had a great rivalry with Larry Bird and the Boston Celtics. These are his accomplishments, 5 times NBA champion, 3 times NBA most valuable player, 12 times All-Star, 3 times NBA Finals MVP, 9 times All-NBA first team, NBA all rookie first team, 2 times NBA All-Star game MVP, NCAA champion, and his number #32 got retired by the Los Angeles Lakers. Throughout his whole life he has many accomplishments that make him one of the fifty greatest players in the NBA.