My Light of My Life | Teen Ink

My Light of My Life

By Steven Alley BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
Steven Alley BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina

It was a new year; the smell of fresh cut grass filled the air. Soft dirt under my feet, and four bases spread about ninety feet apart in ahead of us. My heart is pounding so hard I can feel the rush of my blood through my veins. Day turns into night, and the fans are on their feet. “It’s game time boys”, said coach. We pray to God that we have a safe game, and enter the field with excitement.
I see victory in my friend’s eyes, I taste it! Coach always says “If you want it, then go get it”. Our eyes light up like if we were riding a bike for the first time, like if we were doing something we loved with all our hearts. That’s exactly what we were doing. Coach posted pictures and sayings in the dugout before games. He wanted us to see what people thought about “little” Broome High School, who has never really won much anything. Coach taught us to go for what have never been done, and do what people thought we would never knew we could. He believed in us as a team. We were the boys of spring. Throughout baseball season the only thing on our minds was that little, round white ball, with red laces that we knew we were going to see after school. Every day I would go to school, just wishing to hear Mr. Hardy’s voice, ‘good after noon centurions”. I couldn’t wait to get up to that field, and hear the music; to feel the soft texture of the ball, and grip my fingers around the seems as I was about to warm up. I would stand on the mound, and feel like I’m on top of the world. One of my coaches’s always told me “If you are scared, then get in my pocket”. We all knew what that meant, so we stood up to every team, and gave it our all.
Baseball isn’t just a sport; it isn’t just an activity that I do after school. It’s much more than that. It is what changed my life forever, and taught me my wrong and my right’s. With baseball I have became the person that I have become today, and most importantly it put God in my life. I will never give up on baseball because baseball never gave up on me. Baseball is the light of my life.

I Have Played baseball all my life.