WIAA Playoff Scandal | Teen Ink

WIAA Playoff Scandal

January 26, 2012
By Anonymous

The WIAA Division one and two football playoff brackets were delayed a day this year.
Combined schools Shorewood/Milwaukee Messmer were ruled ineligible by the WIAA and were told they were not allowed into the post season this year. They left the Woodland Conference in 2007. Any team to leaving a conference and declare themselves independent is given four-year prohibition from participating in the playoffs.
Shorewood/Messmer joined the Midwest Classic Conference this year, after three years as an independent.
According to Prep Zone, “The school argued that the rule only applied to teams playing an independent schedule.”
Because they joined a conference and qualified for the post season, Shorewood/Messmer believed they have a right to play even though they have not fully served their suspension.
After one day in court, Shorewood/Messmer finally reached a decision.
Associated Press Fox Cities Hub states, “A Wisconsin judge ruled that, the combined Shorewood/Milwaukee Messmer’s football team can play in the high school playoffs this year.”

Arrowhead senior running back, Jamahl Wright, shared his thoughts on the situation: “Truthfully, it wasn’t really a big deal. It only delayed our preparation for Middleton one day. We were still able to prepare and the outcome showed.”
The Warhawks ended up defeating Middleton 37-14.
There were many mixed reactions about the case.
According to JS Online, “I think he ruled in favor of the football players, It didn’t matter who the parties were at the tables. He saw the football players relevant to his decision and he ruled for them.”