Gronkowski: The Best Tight End Alive | Teen Ink

Gronkowski: The Best Tight End Alive

By lepra1995 BRONZE, Hemet, California
lepra1995 BRONZE, Hemet, California

He is six foot six, two hundred and sixty five pounds and the owner of many scoring records for a tight end in the National Football League: Rob Gronkowski. Gronkowski was born on May 14, 1989. He is the second youngest of five brothers. All the brothers play football or baseball. He went to high school in Buffalo, New York in Williamsville North High School. As a junior, he had 36 receptions for 648 yards and seven touchdowns. He was an All-Western New York first-team and All-State second-team player. As a freshman for University of Arizona in 2007, Gronkowski had 28 receptions for 525 yards and six touchdowns; he only stuck to playing tight end in Arizona. He had 18.8 yards per reception an average surpassing the entire team and his receiving yards were a school record for a tight end. He also won many other awards while in Arizona. He went to the 2010 NFL Draft while only playing for Arizona for two years. He had back surgery before his last year in Arizona causing him to miss the 2009 season. He was drafted by the New England Patriots in the second round as the 42nd pick overall. He had an amazing rookie season with the patriots recording marvelous numbers. He caught 42 passes for 546 yards and had ten touchdowns. He was first rookie tight end to catch ten touchdowns since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970. He had an even better sophomore season with the Patriots. He had the season record with 1,327 receiving yards, the most yards ever achieved by a tight end. He also finished with 18 total touchdowns, an NFL record for all tight ends. In the post-season, he tied an NFL post-season record for catching the most amount of touchdowns in one game, three. He was voted starting tight end for the 2012 Pro Bowl. He had almost one million votes. It is still unknown if he will play in the Pro Bowl since the Patriots are in the AFC championship game, or one game away from the Super Bowl. Even if the Patriots don’t win the Super Bowl, Gronkowski will go down in history as one of the best tight ends in the National Football League.