After Winter Maintenance for Dirt Bikes | Teen Ink

After Winter Maintenance for Dirt Bikes

January 12, 2012
By ASmitty BRONZE, Danville, Vermont
ASmitty BRONZE, Danville, Vermont
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
One more time, going up again!!!!


Some people think that once winter is done all they have to do is start their bike up then start driving, but those people couldn’t be more wrong. What you need to do is small maintenance, and I will tell you how to do everything you need to do below.

Chain

To make your riding experience better for the coming year, you should buy a new chain because the old ones will stretch out. I will tell you how to fix it in just a few steps.

1. First you just need to find a chain that will fit your bike. Once you have the new one you need to take the old one off.

2. Take the old one off by finding the master link, and take it off. The chain will just come right off if your bike is in neutral. After you do that you need to push your back tire forward to get the new chain on without any trouble.

3. To push the tire forward you need to loosen the nut U on the rear tire and once it’s loose you can loosen the nut hex located on the swing arm, when that is loosened all the way you should tighten the bolt hex to the right of the nut hex. Once it is tightened, do the same to the other side. After that you should be able to put the chain on with no problem.

4. Once the chain is on you can tighten the chain up by loosening the bolt hex on both sides, once the chain is tight you should tighten the nut hex and the nut U.




Sprockets

You should get new sprockets every year because they are dull by the end of the year. I can tell you how to do it in a few easy steps.

1. To put the new sprockets on you will need to first take the old ones off. To do that you take them off right after you take the old chain off and before you put the new one on. You need to take out the two bolts holding the front sprocket, and the four screw flats holding on the back sprocket. To take off the back sprocket you need to take off the tire first by taking the nut U off the tire, then pulling out the axle.

2. After the old sprockets are off you need to put the new ones on exactly like the old ones were on.

3. Once the new sprockets are in place put the bolts and flat screws back in and put the tire back on by putting the axle back through the tire in the correct position then putting the nut U back on.



Air filter

You need to change or clean the air filter every year to have your bike ride better than ever. I will tell you how to do so in a couple easy steps.

1. To get the air filter out you need to take the seat off. Once the seat is off you need to take the bolt out that holds the air filter on.

2. After the air filter is off you can either put a new one on or clean it with a commercial cleaner, then you are ready put the bolt back on then put the seat back on.



Antifreeze and oil

In the beginning of the year you want to change the oil on your dirt bike. I can tell you how to do so in just a few easy steps.

1. First you will want to take the bolt flange out of the bottom of the engine, be careful because the oil will start pouring out so try to have a bucket to catch the oil.

2. Once it is all out you put the bolt flange back on. Then you put new oil in the container on on the top side of your engine.

3. The antifreeze doesn’t have to be drained but you should put some in, in the beginning of the year. You just find the place to put it in to the right of your steering mechanism then pour in 50-50 antifreeze.


Throttle

To get your throttle to be better than ever you need to oil it. I just learned how to do this. It made my throttle more slippery and made it feel much better.

1. The first thing you need is lubricant, or spray oil. When you have it you take out the bolt flanges on the throttle and you open up the casing.

2. Once it is open you spray the lubricant, or spray oil into it and it should be all over the inside, once that is done you close it back up and put the bolt flanges back in and it should be good to go.




Other

Other things that you might need to do are clean your carburetor, and get new brake pads. These things don’t need to be done unless they get to old because they last longer.


The author's comments:
I love dirt biking so i figured i would write a piece that would help people with the stuff they don't know how to do.