Basketball | Teen Ink

Basketball

December 11, 2011
By Anonymous

Basketball is a very fun sport if you know how to play it. Basketball first started when James Naismith of the University of Kansas first introduced it in his gym class. The game of basketball consists of five players on each team. Who ever ends up with the most points at the end of 4 quarters is the winner. If the score is tied then the teams go into overtime and play as many overtimes they need until someone wins. There are fouls in basketball: charging foul which is when the offensive player runs into the defender with his feet set. A shooting foul is when the defender hits the offensive player. A blocking foul is when the offensive player runs into the defender under the basket. The reaching foul is when you try to reach to get the ball but you make contact with the player. There is a technical foul which is when the player or coach argues with the referee to much and disrupts the game. There is also a flagrant foul which is when the player fouls another player without making a play on the ball. There is also a loose-ball foul which is when the player fouls another player when the ball is a 50/50 ball to get.

Some of the best players of basketball are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who played for the Los Angeles Lakers and is the leader in points scored during his career. Larry Bird was also good and he is remembered for his steal during the playoffs and assisting to his teammate for the game winning score. Wilt Chamberlain was a center that has the record for the most points scored in a game which is a hundred points. Michael Jordan was a shooting guard who has the record for the points scored per game with 30.1 points per game. Shaquille O’Neal was a center which won three straight NBA championships with the Los Angeles Lakers. Clyde Drexler was a shooting guard that won the NBA championship with the Portland Trail Blazers. Patrick Ewing was a center for the New York Knicks and was an eleven time all-star. Karl Malone (The Mailman) played for the Utah Jazz and was a fourteen time all-star. Hakeem Olajuwon was a center that played for the Houston Rockets that won the 1994 NBA championship. John Stockton was a point guard for the Utah Jazz and was an all-star ten times.