Title Nine, is it Good or Bad? | Teen Ink

Title Nine, is it Good or Bad?

December 6, 2011
By Austin Brown BRONZE, Indian Trail, North Carolina
Austin Brown BRONZE, Indian Trail, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Title Nine plays a vital role in keeping the number of women’s and men’s sports the same at every college. This allows women to have the same opportunity as men to play sports in college.

Since there are already so many men’s sports, men do not have to worry about whether
their sport will be at that college because ninety-five percent of the time that sport is at the
college they choose. However, for women, it is different. There are fewer sports that women play on a regular basis that most colleges have. For all colleges, if they add a men’s sport, they have to add a women’s sport to keep the numbers the same. They have to keep the number of sports the same to be able to give both men and women the same opportunity to play sports in college, if that is what they want to do in college. With Title Nine, if they add a men’s sport, within a year or two, the college must add a women’s sport.
With colleges adding more sports to their campus, schools are growing. More
students are attending those schools to be able to play sports and help start the programs of
these new sports the college is adding. A lot of high school athletes, who want to play a sport in
college, will look at smaller schools with less developed programs so they can play a major role in the starting of the program, making it better, and pushing the team to make it a part of a well known league. Some athletes do not want to sit on the bench until their senior year of college, so they are more likely to go to a school that is just adding their specific sport so they are able to
play all four years and have a good time making the team better each year. Being a female athlete can be hard. Not every school that females look at for college will have the sport they want to play, or have spots on the team to bring in more players. Teams also are not fully funded with scholarships until 3 years after the program has started. Each sport receives a different number of scholarships in total by the time they are fully funded. Athletes that want to receive a scholarship, have to take into account how much money the team has, it all depends on how successful the team is and how many years the program has been in existence. Not many players, in any sport, receive a full scholarship to play in college. With that being said, once the team is fully funded, they can not receive more scholarships, they have to work with that limited number for the rest of the time the program is in existence. A lot of the women’s sports do not receive as many scholarships once they are fully funded as the men’s sports do. This is partly because women’s sports do not bring in a large sum of money like men’s sports do. The larger teams, such as football has more scholarships to give as opposed to smaller known sports such as women’s lacrosse.
Each school is different when it comes to which sports that school has. Not every school has the same sports, so student athletes have to look and make sure that school has the sport they want to play. Before they decide they should look on the school’s athletic web page to find out if the school has the sport they want to play. If it ends up being that that school doesn’t have the sport they want to play, they will have found out before spending the money to go on a visit.. With that, not every school that has your given sport can bring in many more players than they all ready have. All sports have a maximum roster size that they can travel with. So if a team already has its maximum number and are not losing anyone, which doesn’t happen very often, that school might turn you away to look somewhere else instead of wasting your time, and their own.

Most colleges, if they really want a student athlete, will make that happen. The coaches can help financially for their sport, if they have the grades they can get academic money, and financial aid. The athletic funding is harder to come by, like said before, because each team is only given a certain amount of money by the school and NCAA each year.

When a student-athlete is looking the play a sport in college, the student also needs to be able to get in to that college, and stay in, academically. Sometimes, some schools, not all schools, coaches can help the student athlete by telling admissions they want to recruit a student, but they might need a little help getting into the school. The admissions can make sure they get in, if they are right on the edge of getting in or not because the coach wants them for their team. Not every school does this. A large number of schools has to have the player be eligible to get in academically before they can offer anything athletically. If they can get in and be able to stay in with the grades, the coach will most likely offer a scholarship to help the student pay for college and not stress about money. It would be useless for the coaches to give students money if they can’t get into the school to begin with. This would be wasting a spot on the team since the coach might not offer someone else, waiting for a response from a player who wouldn’t be able to play. Student Athletes should know where they can play, and where they can’t, based on the grades for a start, so they know if they coach wants them, they can stay in academically and be able to play when their season comes.

As a student athlete myself, I had to do everything stated above and hope that the coaches wanted me as a player, and that I could get in academically. It is all a lot to think about when deciding on where someone wants to spend the next four years of their life. The students need to really like the place they pick. I know I sure love where I will be going to play lacrosse for the next four years.