Is football only about a ball? | Teen Ink

Is football only about a ball?

By Honeysuckle18 SILVER, Sunnyvale, California
Honeysuckle18 SILVER, Sunnyvale, California

We're all fighting a war whether we know it or not - a war for our minds and souls and what we believe in. ~ Joan Bauer (Stand Tall)

How do I start off what I want to say. "can girls join the football team."
The coaches seem nice but at my high school campus I can tell it's a taboo.All I want to do is play football. Who am I kidding, my dad won't even let me play soccer because "it's too dangerous," so this is out of the question.
I am short but not for long I hope.In this game of football you have to be swift,maneuver,and wonder if your glory will last. Why can't I play football? I am athletic and even more muscly than some of the guys in my classes. Did I mention that I have ran for years in Track-and-Field and Cross Country? If you don't think I am qualified than you can consider the fact that when I tried to run in capture the flag,everyone would gang up on me.
When I was little I could feel the separation between both genders. In second grade girls would say,"Girls go to college to get more knowledge and boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider." Then I did not know that I was being cheated. Girls in second grade would play on the playground or do other 'girly' things while I played basketball and football with my guy friends.
I am capable of playing with the guys since I can run with the guys or at least close to how fast they run. All I want is a chance. This year my goal is to switch my Cross Country jersey with a football one.I'm ready ... I think. I can take the comments, the lies,the rude glares,but I don't think I can take losing.
If I could convince my parents that I can do this, maybe the coaches will ignore the fact that I am a girl. I'm good at catching,I'm good at running,but if I put my mind into it-I will be stunning.