Journey to Black Belt

Key-hahp, I yell as I do a powerful back hook kick. My yell was loud enough to draw cheers from the spectating crowd across our practice area at White Tiger Taekwondo. If I can yell like this during my Black Belt Test in November, I know I can get the attention of the board of judges. With a little more training I will be ready to fulfill my taekwondo dream of becoming a Black Belt!

I am currently a Bodon Belt and will be testing this November for my Black Belt. I practice and train at a taekwondo school in Cary, NC. It’s a great school with many developing students. I have been training here for more than three years. As a Bodon belt there are many responsibilities, like being a role model for lower rank belts, and encouraging them to try harder. My school has pushed me to not only be better at Martial Arts but also to be a better person. I have been motivated since day 1!

Martial arts have taught me many values. I learned that little things like focus can improve your performance in anything. Focus is broken down into three types: Eye focus, Body focus, and Mind focus. Each step of focus is necessary to be totally concentrated. Before I started Taekwondo it was hard for me to focus, but now I can concentrate on just about anything and free myself from any distractions. Whether it’s taking a test or listening to my parents, I know I can give my full attention.

Another principle that martial arts have taught me is self-control. Self Control is the ability to control your behavior and emotions. In order to be successful in Taekwondo you need to have self-control. After I learned self-control I could throw a punch full force and stop an inch away from the target. I wouldn’t be angry if I lost a competition and I would show respect to everybody even in tough situations. I could control my temper and be in charge of my own life. I felt great!

All in all, taekwondo has been a huge influence in my life. I know I can accomplish anything that I set my mind to now. Now when I test for my Black Belt in November, I know I will be ready with all the focus, self-control, and other great values that Martial Arts has taught me. Taekwondo has pushed me to become a better person. Taekwondo is not about learning to beat people up, but more about learning valuable life lessons. Taekwondo has set the perfect example for me!

Neilp said...

I love this article