Synchronized Skating, My Life | Teen Ink

Synchronized Skating, My Life

June 22, 2011
By p2psambassador10 BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
p2psambassador10 BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Synchronized Skating is the fastest growing discipline in all of figure skating. It is when a group of 8 to 20 men and/or women (or boys and girls) skate as one flowing unit. They do all of the same difficult footwork in time to music. The different divisions, or levels, go by age and test, or skill, level. Or so says the textbook.
To me, “synchro” is much more than that. In my opinion, synchro is my life. I eat, sleep, and breathe competition because of it. I also practice at least 5 days a week, for a minimum of 10 hours. Aside from practicing on ice, we synchro skaters have to do off-ice conditioning, strength training, and much more.
In my opinion, it is absolutely unbelievable that the fastest growing discipline in figure skating is not in the Olympics. I feel that we synchronized skaters work too hard just to be able to qualify for nationals (if you are juvenile or up) and worlds (if you are a senior team that placed first or second at nationals). That is why my dream is for synchronized skating to become an Olympic sport. If it does become an Olympic sport, it will finally be considered a sport and get the credit that it deserves.
I have been a synchronized skater for more than half of my life and I have been to nationals once (out of 2 times of being able to qualify), when I was 12. Since then I took a year off to focus on passing tests and I joined Team Reflections Intermediate, based in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, which means that I have a 2 and a half hour commute to and from each practice, but it’s worth it. Last year, Team Reflections Intermediate got 2nd place at the 2010 Synchronized Skating National Championships in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and medaled at every competition that they went to.
Even though synchro is a competitive sport, it is a great way to make friends. Throughout my years of being a synchronized skater, I have been too many camps and competitions and made many friends. My friends, Missy Mizell, currently on Team Delaware, once said, “I love synchro, it has helped my make lifelong friends, great memories, and achieve many goals.”
Through skating, I have learned, experienced, done, and accomplished many things. I feel that being a synchro skater, and even skating in general, has helped me in great ways. I am more confident, graceful, and have become a great role model and mentor. I think that figure skating and synchronized skating are great sports that everyone should try at least once in their lifetime. You never know, you could end up have a spark go off inside of you and be like me, a person who is passionate about a sport that has given the same passion back to her.