Third Time's A Charm | Teen Ink

Third Time's A Charm

May 23, 2011
By Anonymous

Butler University Campus is right across the street from my house. Normally this neighborhood is a quiet neighborhood, but on the night of the 2011 NCAA men’s National Championship game this place was electric. The hype around this place was sweet, because on that night it was the battle of the dogs to see who was top dog. It was the University of Connecticut Huskies versus the Butler University Bulldogs.


It was just about half time, Butler was down by about one point with about 4 seconds left in the half. Matt Howard took out the ball around mid court. He slapped the ball and everyone scattered. Shelvin Mack comes to the top of the key and catches the pass from Matt Howard. He catches the ball takes two dribbles towards the basket. Two huskies guard him, that doesn’t matter he still leans back and rears up for a three point shot as time expires. At first it looks short, it is dead silent in the Historic Hinkle Field House, you could hear a pin drop. The shot floats through the air. Everyone in the building is watching the ball in the air. SWISH! The ball goes strait through the bottom of the net and Butler takes a two point lead at the half. Even though Butler would go on to lose the game they had a fantastic season, and if you were a senior on that team, just going that far in your last season makes it a season you will never forget. Butler has been to a NCAA championship game for two years now, and in both years they had super star talent that left early to join the big leagues and the NBA. The year after last it was Gordon Hayward who led Butler to a National Championship Game and missed a shot as time expires from half court, he went on to the draft and was drafted 9th overall to the Utah Jazz. And last year Shelvin Mack led his Butler Team to another Championship, and he went into the NBA draft, his fait is still unknown. But Now a days around the Butler Campus it is back to normal, but in the back of everyone’s head is one saying “Third Times a Charm.”

The author's comments:
This Piece is about Butler University's national Championship game.