Age is Nothing, But a Number | Teen Ink

Age is Nothing, But a Number

By Brittany Holbert BRONZE, Keller, Texas
Brittany Holbert BRONZE, Keller, Texas

Growing old is just a part of life. Everyone, if they are lucky, will go through the stages of life. Young age brings forth energy and a curiosity about the unknown. However, old age brings wisdom and patience. This is true in every aspect of life and society, including even sports. You might ask how sports are so related close to age, well I will tell you.

Sports are all about age. The younger an athlete is, then the stronger, faster, and better a player will be, right? This is fact has been tested many times over the years and has been proven correct several times. However, the most recent test of the theory in age in sports is and has been in the 2011 NBA playoffs. The Dallas Mavericks are in the Western Conference Finals and are currently beating the Oklahoma City Thunder 2-1 in a best of 7 series. The Mavericks had to beat the Portland Trail Blazers 4-2 in the first round. In the second round, the Mavericks had to play the two-time defending NBA world champions, Los Angeles Lakers, and the Mavs swept the Lakers 4-0. The Mavericks shocked the nation when they beat the Lakers, but a younger, more energetic team waited for them in the next round.
The Thunder team is very young and is full of energy, while the Mavericks have many veterans on their roster. However, in both of the wins that the Mavs have acquired, they have played with hustle and a bounce in their step. Even in the loss that the Mavericks faced they played tough and kept the game close. The Mavericks are showing the amount of heart that the entire team and staff have inside of them. The classic tale of youth being better has been shattered by the Mavericks in the playoffs. The younger teams seem to be no match for the wise, experienced Mavericks.