Steriods | Teen Ink

Steriods

March 11, 2011
By Isaac Flyer BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Isaac Flyer BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Barry Bonds, Shawne Merriman, Jose Canseco, Floyd Landis. What do all these people have in common? They all took steroids. This is what professional sports have become. It use to be that if you wanted to get stronger you would train harder and go to the gym. Today people think if you take steroids you will become stronger faster and this sounds so good they forget the consequences. Steroids are bad for the health of the athlete, and all records obtained or earned by that athlete should be revoked because technically, they were cheating.
I believe that steroids should stay banned from all sports and for the people that continue to ignore this there should be a harsher penalty for them liked being banned from the sport they play steroids have been nothing but trouble to all the sports it makes people feel like what’s the point of a record book if in the end it will be tainted it would just get old to the athletes to play the game if everyone is cheating.
Steroid use goes back all the way to 1936 in the Berlin Olympic where some individuals used steroids. Sense then it has been used in every sport people need to start realizing the consequences of steroids like they cause tendons to tear, bones to stop growing, damage of the kidneys and will destroy your liver and will cause heart attacks and strokes and the one thing no man would ever want to happen to him.
Reasons Supporting My opinion, Steroids are harmful to the body and could actually kill you. According to several studies over the last 20 years, the following negative effects on the body happened Cardiac Arrest, Organ damage, Mental illness and over doses.

Second there is an unfair advantage to the game. If everyone is taking steroids the game will be meaningless because if everyone was to take steroids the pitchers would be throwing 120 mph and even on steroids there is no way your catching up to that steroids make you stronger they don’t give you faster. Then eventually baseball would have to be stopped because no one would pay money to see strikeout after strikeout for every game you go to. The thing that makes the game so exciting is the talent and the individuals that stand out and the occasional no hitter. It wouldn’t be fun to see it happen every night. Also it does not matter what anyone say if you taking steroids for whatever reason you are cheating yourself but also the game and eventually it will come back and bite you in the butt
Lastly the Hall of Fame Induction It doesn't matter whether you take it once or 20 times it's still cheating and dishonoring the game and the player's accomplishments. Those great players currently in the Hall of Fame that worked their butts off to be where they are now they didn’t get there by cheating and using steroids The game has been tainted by steroid and we are still to find out if a steroid user will make it into the hall of fame if they do that will change the meaning of the hall of fame.
Refuting Opposing Arguments first argument shouldn’t people be able to use Steroids whether they are harmful or not? That is true, we should not tell you what you should and should not do. But in this case, we can because steroids are illegal.
Second argument is if we can’t use steroids what is the point of having coaches and trainers they both enhance your performance. Should we ban coaching? That is true that they both enhance performance. Here is the difference. Steroids are illegal, coaches are not. Steroids are harmful, coaches are not.
Third Argument why do people make such a big deal about steroids if someone wants to change there body that is there choice they should just make it legal. Yes it true that people do all sorts of things that are wrong but in our society we have decided that steroids are wrong and people need to understand what’s right and what’s wrong. People say if they just make steroids legal everyone would use them that’s not true many people would but others wouldn’t because they have respect for the game and they know the only way to play the game is fair also at least 20% of players couldn’t take it because there body could not tolerate it. You have to honor the game it doesn’t matter what you’re doing when you cheat your dishonoring the game that’s like saying you can take another man’s wife just because everyone else is doing it? No that wrong we must all know the fine line between what’s right and what’s wrong.
After looking at the arguments for and against steroids I still think steroids should continue to be banned from sports. In fact, there should be zero tolerance and the punishments should be harsher for anyone caught like even being banned from the sport you play. It is time to bring integrity back to the sporting world. And if we make steroids legal we will lose all integrity of the game.