Trump's Mets | Teen Ink

Trump's Mets

March 3, 2011
By edenl BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
edenl BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Donald Trump has expressed an interest in becoming the principal owner of the New York Mets. The Mets’, financial situation has come into question due to the fact the team’s owners, the Wilpons and the Katzs, are under investigation for being involved in Bernie Maddoff’s Ponzi scheme. Trump and Wilpon are known to be friends, and currently the Mets are looking for a minority buyer. Trump, however, has said that if he does invest in the Mets he will only do so as a majority buyer.
It was reported on Fox News that,“...the Wilpons unveiled plans to sell a minority stake in the franchise, triggering a slew of potential part owners to emerge, including former manager Bobby Valentine, Donald Trump and others.”
The difference in ideas between Trump and Wilpon will have to be worked out if both would like this deal to go through. Either way the Mets need a bailout from the financial mess they are in.
Since their last World Series apperance in 2000,the Mets have not been able to reach that level of play. In addition to a lineup of expensive, but aging, players the Mets also have a new stadium, Citifield. The Mets' future and financial stability remain uncertain, but will hopefully be under control by opening day.