Islanders Smash Penguins 9-3 | Teen Ink

Islanders Smash Penguins 9-3

In a game resembling “Friday Night: Fight Night” rather than a well-played hockey game, the New York Islanders were able to destroy the Pittsburg Penguins 9-3 on Friday night. After suffering a harsh loss only nine days earlier to the Penguins, the Islanders pulled out strong for a win at home. Aided by the injuries of two key Penguins players, including star Sidney Crosby, the Islanders got sweet, sweet revenge. With the win, however, the Islanders faced two suspensions and a $100,000 fine for their actions.

Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro had suffered multiple broken bones in his face after a fight against the Penguins just nine days earlier.

Eric Godard received a 10-day suspension for leaving the bench to join the clash during one of the many fights. "I am aware of the rule, but at that moment you're not thinking about what the things are," Godard told to ESPN.com in an interview. "I just saw him skating toward Johnny and I just kind of went.”
There were a total of 346 penalty minutes, 10 ejections, 15 fighting majors, 30 misconducts, 3 suspensions, and $100,000 in fines throughout the game. For the Islanders, they had 2 suspensions, 183 penalty minutes, 34 total penalties, the $100,000 fine and 8 fighting majors. For the Penguins, they had 163 penalty minutes, 31 penalties, a suspension and 7 fighting majors.

The Penguins may receive the last laugh when they come back to Long Island to play in the last of six games played against the Islanders this season on April 8th. Many Penguin players have already begun talking about the retaliation that they are going to deliver for the brutality of the Islanders on Friday.
"We don't like them and they don't like us," Pittsburgh forward Pascal Dupuis told ESPN New York. "It shows on the ice. But we have plenty of hockey between here and that game. We'll see what's going to happen."
As for the Islanders, the fine of $100,000 seems to hurt more than anything else. In hard financial times, the last thing they needed was a larger burden on their back. The Islanders are hoping that maybe this will help them more than it has hurt them: with so much publicity around the game, they are hoping that attitudes of many fans will change. The Islanders are hoping to see an increase in ratings and attendance in future Penguins-Islanders games.
Meanwhile, between all of the fights, the Islanders managed to put in nine goals and get the two points for the win. They still sit in 14th place, however, and the playoffs seem far out of their reach.