The Change of Sports | Teen Ink

The Change of Sports

By ALB99 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
ALB99 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Sports have been around for centuries and centuries, and they’ll stay for many more to come. But, due to the lockouts and strikes that player associations are “threatening” to do, no one can fully enjoy a simple game of baseball, basketball, or football. Players say that there are many reasons for a lockout or strikes, but we the fans know it’s mostly for one thing, MONEY. It’s the reason that most players suck the life out of the sports that the like to play and they keep it in their minds their whole childhood. I am one of those people who are die hard sports fans, so I understand that money is important, but I also know you shouldn’t get carried away with it.

The headlines over the past few years are very simple, LeBron goes to Miami, Vick goes to jail, and then steroids. First you have to talk about the LeBron situation. If you do not know the story here it is. LeBron James was born and raised in Akron, Ohio. He was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2003 NBA Draft. He played with the Cleveland Cavaliers from 2003-2010 and won the NBA’s most valuable player award and numerous other awards. Then the offseason comes and he becomes a free agent. About every sports analyst in the world knows he’s definitely not going back to Cleveland because he did not win a championship with that team. So the news came around that he is going to have an hour long special about what team he will sign with. The whole show, I didn’t really agree with, but later he said all of the money made from the special would be preceded to the Boys & Girls Foundation. Then the decision came that he would take his “talents to South Beach” otherwise saying he will join the Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and the Miami Heat. All three of them have a great chemistry with on another and they knew that decision was a great move towards winning a championship.

The next headline of course is: The southpaw Michael Vick. The story of a great football player who lost it all from a little visit to prison, that story never gets old. After his release from prison, he than said that he received a contract offer from the Philadelphia Eagles, who at the time had Pro-Bowl Quarterback; Donovan McNabb. After one year of being a backup, the Eagles traded Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins. Then the question came up, who will be the Eagles staring Quarterback? To most people, the answer was clearly Michael Vick, but the Eagles wanted to start a new future with Kevin Kolb. Kevin Kolb has been a starter his whole NFL career, but it would be the start of the future. At the start of the regular season the Eagles than decided to announce Kevin Kolb as the starter. But after Kevin Kolb was diagnosed with a concussion after a hard hit so then Michael Vick out of the shadows to start for the Eagles. Then another situation rose when Kevin Kolb was announced the starter after recovering from his concussion. After a loss with Kolb starting, the Eagles then looked back to Michael Vick to lead the team to the playoffs. So he achieved, that also being named on the Pro-Bowl team and All-NFL teams.

Last, but never least is the Steroid situation. Steroids have been impacting three major worldwide sports: Baseball, Basketball, and Football. In football steroids has never been brought up to the spotlight. If you actually look at the size professional football players, they look inhuman with their size, but a fan will just say that player spends a lot of time in the weight room, but the thought of steroids shouldn’t be erased from the equation. You never know who might be doing or not. There is a list of 52 players in the NFL caught using steroids. Then onto the MLB, the MLB comes out with a list of players who failed the drug test every year. Due to the MLB having the professional league and the minor leagues, the amount of players is very large. Mostly every year a superstar player is caught and put on the list, and the others are mostly at the minor league level. Now the topic is basketball. Usually you don’t hear about steroids in the NBA, but they do pop up from time to time. Just about a week ago, the Memphis Grizzlies shooting guard O.J. Mayo got caught with an Over-The-Counter drug that he didn’t know was a banned substance. Where I stand on steroids as a future hopeful baseball player, just the whole say no to drugs motto put to some pros they never can stay away and get ahead of themselves.