Mets GM Change | Teen Ink

Mets GM Change

By Chris Sullivan BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
Chris Sullivan BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey

QUEENS, NY- Just recently the New York Mets owner fired the general manager Omar Minaya and manager Jerry Manuel after having a very bad season with a losing record. The record of the Mets was 79 wins and 83 losses out of 162 games during the regular season.
The Mets will look for a new general manager first then let the general manager pick the manager. The Mets will need a manager that won’t just sit back and let the players do what they want. They need a manager that will flip the table in the locker room and help the players and coaches fix their mistakes and make them work hard.
Jerry Manuel was a manager that sat back and let the Mets players do what they wanted to do and hoped for the Mets to be successful. Manuel needed to put his foot down and set the players straight. With a manager that will take charge of the team hopefully will turn the losing name of the Mets into a winning one.
The Mets haven’t won a World Series since 1968, which is 42 years ago. Since then the Mets haven’t even had a chance to make it to the World Series; the last time the Mets had a chance to make it to the World Series was in 2006 when the Mets won the National League Division Title when Willie Rudolf was the manager.
Potential candidates for the Mets general manager are former Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes, former A’s general manager Sandy Alderson, and White Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn. Potential candidates for the manager position are Joe Torre, and Wally Backman are the 2 people the Mets are looking at to fill the manager spot.
Josh Byrnes put together a team that had the leagues best record in 2007 with a 90-72 record and surprised many by winning the National League West Division Championship while with the Arizona D-Backs. Sandy Alderson
The Mets need a general manager that will spend a little more money to benefit the team. The Mets will be letting Oliver Perez a starting pitcher play in a Mexican baseball league during the off-season hoping to improve his skills. The Mets are hoping to sign Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay and make them starting pitchers along with Johan Santana, Oliver Perez, and Mike Pelfrey who just received a long-term extension. The Mets need a good pitching staff that should consist of 3-4 veteran pitchers and 1-2 rookies. The starting pitchers should be able to pitch well for 6-8 innings. Then have a strong closer with a good era. and finish the game with a win.