Acquiring the Big Three | Teen Ink

Acquiring the Big Three

By Chris Pooler BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
Chris Pooler BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey

During the off-season, Miami Heat Coach Eric Spoelstra had completed the impossible by acquiring the Big Three; the three being Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh. All of whom are considered to be in the NBA’ s elite class of Players. Keeping Dwayne Wade was a great move, but adding Lebron James was the greatest move of the off-season. Coming off his first year of free agency the two time Most Valuable Player was the hottest commodity. During the first month of free agency the big question was where would Lebron go? The only teams that could sign him for what he was asking were Chicago, Miami, New York, and New Jersey. By this point it was obvious that Lebron did not want to stay in Cleveland. Despite his Akron upbringing he wanted the opportunity to win. New Jersey and New York where both pitching large amounts of money but they were singled out. With only Miami and Chicago left, coach Eric Spoelstra had but only one chance left. He would have to convince Lebron that every year Miami would be a championship contender. With the help of Lebron’s long time friend, Dwayne Wade, Miami head coach Eric Spoelstra was able to sign Lebron James.

The last addition was Chris Bosh a very athletic big man with a nice 15 footer. Chris’s situation was very different than Lebron or Dwayne’s. He was stuck on a dead end team that never seemed to make it past the first in round of the playoffs. From the start of his rookie year, he was forced to be the franchise, making moves and taking uncomfortable shots. It was very obvious that Chris was going to get signed; the only question was where and for how much? With a guaranteed all-star in Brooke Lopez, and a first round draft pick in Derrick Favors, New Jersey was already set. Not long after Lebron’s refusal New York signed Amar’e Stoudamire they had no need for another big man. With Chicago signing Carlos Boozer from the Jazz the last place available place was Miami. Coach Spoelstra was looking for an athletic big that could run the break with Lebron and Dwayne. Not long after Independence Day, Eric Spoelstra had truly completed the impossible by signing three players for Six years and 110 million dollars: Chris Bosh, Lebron James, and Dwayne Wade.