Denard Robinson | Teen Ink

Denard Robinson

September 20, 2010
By Anonymous

Michigan Quarterback Denard Robinson broke the quarterback record for most total yards in a game with 502 against the University of Notre Dame He also directed the game-winning touchdown drive, scoring himself from 2 yards with 27 seconds left to give Michigan a 28-24 win. “He’s a tough kid," Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly said in an interview conducted by espn.com "You run a quarterback 25 times, you've got to have toughness. I'll let his coach figure out if that's the best approach for 10 games; we hit him pretty hard out there." Robinson a serious Heisman trophy candidate is has been dubbed the “savior” of Michigan football.
The Wolverines last year were a miserable 5-8 and failed to live up to the program’s legacy. But with Robinson under center the future looks bright for the Wolverines. Robinson has been drawing comparisons to Eagles quarterback Michael Vick and Pat White of West Virginia.
Robinson when he came out of high schools was not a highly praised recruit, This 6-foot, 193- pound sophomore from Deerfield Beach High School, was only the 35th-ranked player out of Florida. Most people thought he was more of a cornerback or wide receiver since his passing game wasn’t strong enough for college level competition. Robinson, despite the critics, decided to start spring practices as a freshman quarterback which turned a lot of heads.
Freshman year, Robinson experienced much needed game time while going under center as a true freshman quarterback. Robinson rushed 69 times for 351 yards and scored five touchdowns. Sophomore year is when he first started garnering national attention. He started at quarterback against Connecticut, completing 19-of-22 passes for 186 yards and a touchdown. For the second game of the season he took on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Robinson played his best game so far during his college career. He had the most total yards for a Michigan Quarterback at 502. This week the high powered offense of Michigan, led by Robinson, is playing the University of Massachusetts, which is a weak team. Look for Robinson to continue to rewrite the college football record books.