Run With Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I run outside in my blue Brooks. I run under bridges, between cars, on the ice, through the woods. I run in the summer heat and the crisp fall air. I run north-northwest, where the wind slaps my face with each stride.

I run, and they say I'm sprinting. I run, and they say I'm not trying. I run for enjoyment, for spirit, for an escape from my temper. Running is what I do when I don't want to be stopped. Running is my ticket to freedom; I run with no worries.

I run on the track upstairs. I run around the school. I run between chain-link fences; I run the bases. Coaches make me run suicides, as if that's a punishment for me. Running makes me stronger; running makes me weaker. For the price of raw energy, running keeps safe the reward of endurance. An inside-out catch-22, maybe that's what running is.

I ran barefoot after an ice cream truck. I run up and down hills with my dogs. I will run as long as my legs let me. I ran on the beach in Florida. I ran with my teammates through a foot and a half of snow. I ran after a dream: to play college softball. As a toddler, I ran after my father so that he wouldn't leave me. I ran in Chicago and had a near miss with an oncoming train. I ran cross-country, and I have run many a timed mile.

My car engine runs. My cell phone battery runs out. I am always running late. I went running after a boy. I ran as fast as I could from love.

I run in the hopes that life will drain from my lungs and I will be reborn. Running gives me nothing but everything, because when I run, time stops. Run with a stopwatch, run without. It won't matter if I finish first, because I still ran.

Solnyshko This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this so much! I'm also a runner, and the way you expressed it hit my feelings right on. I loved where you said "It doesn't matter if I finished first, because I still ran" In fact, the quote is now displayed in a place where my whole family can enjoy it...congrats, you made the fridge! Anyway, good job! :)

SecondBaseFever12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

i can relate. i run too. it makes me feel better. i love it!

--secondbasefever12

thebushhippie said...
Omg! I love to run, too, and I really liked reading this article! It's obvious that you REALLY LOVE running, and I'm in awe of your writing skills. Keep on writing and running!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I loved reading this. I run cross country and enjoy it, but I don't get as much from it as you seem to. But I can relate; running is what keeps me going.

The last paragraph was my favorite. Well done with this!