Gold Medal Game | Teen Ink

Gold Medal Game

June 9, 2010
By CEHNEHDEH BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont
CEHNEHDEH BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Johnathan Toews captain of the Chicago Black Hawks started the scoring in the 2010 Olympic hockey gold medal game. It was only a twelve minutes and fifty seconds into the first when Toews racked up the first goal for Canada. Toews had received the pass from Mike Richards, of Philadelphia. Their was only one penalty in the first period, Bobby Ryan of the USA for tripping.

In the second period only a few seconds after Eric Staals interference penalty was over the puck found its way to Duncan Keith. Keith then passed to Ryan Getzlaf. Getzlaf looking for someone to pass to sent it over to Corey Perry. Perry then took a shot and scored, it was now two nothing for Canada. Unfortunately only a few minutes later, off the shot from Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler tipped it past Canada's goalie Roberto Luongo. It was now two one Canada.

The third period was winding down to an end with Canada ahead by one. The Americans had pulled their goalie, Ryan Miller, so that they could have an extra attacker on the ice. With only twenty five seconds left Zach Parise of the USA team scored to tie the game. The game would then go to a twenty minute period of sudden death overtime.

Only seven minutes and forty seconds into overtime Sidney Crosby tried to get past two American defenders. He managed it. Crosby passed it Jarome Iginla, who passed it back to Crosby right in front of the American goal. He took a shot. He scored. The crowd went crazy. Team Canada had won a gold medal! The Americans got a silver and the Finns a bronze.

A strange thing is that the Canadian women had also won gold, followed by the Americans and then the Finns, they had replicated the standings.

The players on the ice skated around waving the Canadian flag with applause from the crowed. Team Canada had won three two in sudden death overtime.

The author's comments:
Canada is the best!!!!