New York is frozen down to hold Super Bowl 48 | Teen Ink

New York is frozen down to hold Super Bowl 48

June 3, 2010
By ePosh SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
ePosh SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

New York - Frigid temperatures, coffee and hand warmers in hand and thousands of screaming fans in the stands and not one person in those stands will regret coming to see the first Cold weather super bowl which got passed tuesday to be held in the New Meadowlands stadium in New Jersey.

After Jets owner Woody Johnson and Giants owner John Mara’s push for a cold weather super bowl in their respective team’s new $1.6 billion dollar stadium in New Jersey, other NFL owners have agreed to hold Super Bowl 48 in New Jersey after an owner’s only vote passed on Tuesday New York, which has an average high temperature of 37? and an average low temperature of 22? with an average of 2 inches of precipitation, will be breaking a rule requiring an average temperature of 50 degrees or a dome for a team to even bid on hosting the Super Bowl. The league however after the owners only vote has bent the rule to let New York bid for Super Bowl 48.

Many NFL Fans are undecided on whether or not the super bowl should be held in NY but in a recent ESPN.com poll 51.6% think holding the super bowl is a good idea. However the other 36.2% believe it is a bad idea as a result of all the weather problems that could potentially affect the Super Bowl. The espn.com poll also went on to show that the biggest fear of NFL fans is that the weather will have a negative affect on the skill and competition of the game. When I interviewed freshman Matthew Borine on the matter he told me that “cold weather teams such as the Patriots, Packers or Vikings will definitely have an advantage in the harsh conditions of New Jersey over warm weather teams like the Chargers.”

The economical impact will carry over into New York for the 2014 super bowl and will see an even bigger economical benefit for New York and New Jersey area than Miami saw during last year’s super bowl. The estimated economic impact for the 2014 Super Bowl will be from $55 million to $550 million (according to nytimes.com), and the NFL have around three and a half years to plan. Amongst those plans is to have a special super bowl float at the 2013 Thanksgiving parade and a party at Liberty State Park in Jersey City.