Recruiting | Teen Ink

Recruiting

By Flynn BRONZE, North Vernon, Indiana
Flynn BRONZE, North Vernon, Indiana

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!

I think a student/athlete should have to go to college until their sophomore year before they can even think about going pro in any sport. In college basketball most players think they are good enough to go one and done. The NFL has made it to were they have to wait at least until their junior season. They never even think about how good they could if they stayed at least one more year. If this rule goes into affect colleges could put up banners in just the sport of basketball.

Reggie Harding was selected by the Detroit Pistons in the fourth round of the 1962 NBA Draft. He became the first player drafted into the NBA straight from high school, although he did not enter the NBA until the 1963-64 season. Harding averaged 9.0 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. If Harding had gone to college and played two years, he may have been a starter out of college. Another example is John Wall of the Kentucky Wildcats. He is a good point guard, but as only a freshman this year he had too many turnovers. That not the only thing he needed to improve his shot needed to be better if he wants to go to the NBA. If he would play his sophomore season he could lead any team to the national title game. These are just a few examples of players this has happened to, but if the rule isn't changed it will happen more and more to every college in America. Basketball is the main sport this happens in because the other pro leagues have taken care of this problem. So the athlete can learn the speed of the game because the change in college to the NBA in any sport is amazing.

Another reason is what happens if the pros doesn't work out like you thought it would? At least you have more than a high school diploma. So this is why student/athletes should have to wait. I'm not saying this because I'm a sports fan, but as a student/athletes that wants to accomplish this to graduate from high school and college. I promised my mom I would and that is what I'm going to do. It is a lot more to me than money to never break a promise.