2010 Winter Olympics | Teen Ink

2010 Winter Olympics

By TsunamiSwimmer BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
TsunamiSwimmer BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

"And now these three remain: Faith, Hope, and Love. But the greatest of these is Love."
1rst Corinthians 13:13

The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics just ended and was a huge success. The opening ceremony was Friday February,13th, to kick off the games. There were 82 countries participating including Canada and the U.S. These games were suspenseful, tragic, exciting and much, much more!

Just two weeks before the games, alpine skiing superstar, Lindsey Vaughn bruised a muscle in her right shin on a practice run. “It was so painful,” Vaughn told the Today Show. “I couldn't even put my boot on in the hotel room, let alone ski on it!” Luckily her first events were postponed because of the weather. “Usually I would be very upset by this, but this time, I'm so thankful for the bad weather!” Lindsey will do all of her events and hopefully will succeed as usual.

Friday the 13th, the day of the opening ceremony, there was an awful tragedy. Georgian Olympic Luge slider, Nodar Kumaritashvili, was killed while on a practice run. The final turn at Whistler Sliding Center, site of the Luge competition for the 2010 Winter Olympics, proved deadly for Georgian slider Nodar Kumaritashvili, 21. He suffered fatal injuries when he hit a metal beam after flying off the course before the opening ceremonies.

Also on the 13th, American short track legend, Apolo Anton Ohno surprised the world with his slip up in the Men's 1500 m. short track race. Ohno slipped on the 2nd to last lap and caused him the gold metal. He came out with a silver, but still shocked the world.

On February 17th, Shaun White, U.S Snowboarding superstar, took gold in men's half pipe finals with a score of 48.4. Peetu Piironien of France, came in second , and Louie Vito from the U.S got bronze.

Also on the 17th, there was Downhill Alpine Skiing, legend Lindsey Vaughn's best event. Speaking of Vaughn, it was no surprise she got gold! Even with her bad shin, she managed to be the best. Teammate Julia Mancuso took the silver, with Austrian Elisabeth Georgi winning the bronze.

Once again on the 17th, there was Men's 100 meter Speed Skating. U.S skater Shani Davis took gold. Japan's Tae-Bum Mo, got silver while U.S Chad Hedrick took bronze.

Millions of Koreans clapped, cheered, and cried tears of joy February 26th when “Queen Yu-Na” brought home gold in figure Skating.

Just the day before, Canadian figure skater Joaynnie Rochette put the heartbreak of her mother's sudden death aside, and performed a gutsy routine which gave her an Olympic bronze.

American Evan Lysacek shocked the reigning champion Yevgeny Plushenko to end Russia's long dominance in the Olympic Men's figure skating event on Thursday the 18th. Lysacek took home gold and Plushenko came up behind with silver.

The metal count at the end of the games was the U.S in the lead with 37 total metals, Germany behind with 30, and Canada with 26. Way to go U.S.A!

All this and much more suspenseful, tragic and exciting events happened in the games. Now all of the athletes are home training for the 2014 Russian Winter Games!

My dream is to go to Olympics and swim. I watch the summer and winter Olympics every time they are on and when I got the choice to write and optional piece, right away I wanted to write about the Winter Olympics that were going on at the time.

1fitzy17 BRONZE, Not Telling :p, Other

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary."- Vince Lombardi

Don't get me wrong, though. Great review of the Games! I can't wait for London, Sochi, and Rio. But I agree with hockeyguy, no hockey?

1fitzy17 BRONZE, Not Telling :p, Other

Lindsey Vonn. It's spelled "Vonn". 

hockeyguy27 said...
on May. 10 2010 at 10:25 am
 This is a perfect amount of information of the olympics. Nice job but wheres the hockey?