Girl Power | Teen Ink

Girl Power MAG

My cousin is about six feet two inches tall and plays for Fairfield University. Last weekend we went to see her play. I have watched lots of basketball games, but none quite like this. Because it was girls basketball, I expected an easy, clean game, and a pretty boring one. Boy, was I wrong.

As we filled the arena, everyone was excited, cheering the team. I couldn’t get over the size of the players. I hadn’t seen my cousin for a while. She had gained a lot of muscle, and looked like she could take on a pro football player. I soon found out the reason for this dramatic change.

I was amazed at the violence in the game. The colossal girls swarmed the ball like a school of piranhas. Their elbows flew and I must have counted six times someone was knocked to the floor. Two players would embrace the orange ball, dragging each other to the floor until a ref had to decide who got possession. One girl was so physical that she actually got kicked off the court.

It was stunning to watch the complexity of the game. Each team had its own set of plays set in motion by words or gestures. They ran decoys and set screens. It was almost like watching a military mission. They also used different players for different jobs. The larger girls would bring the ball down court and then pass it to a smaller girl, who would weave through the mass of defenders and bring it to the hoop faster than lightning.

Then when the game was over, the oddest thing happened. These same girls who had been tearing each other apart a few minutes before hugged, shook hands, and played horse. They split pizza and told stories. That’s the last time I will ever judge a girls’ game before I see one. It topped any basketball game I’ve ever experienced. .

b.ballgal16@gmail.com BRONZE, Toronto, Other
Finally a guy reconizes that girls basketball is just as, if not more physical, exciting and complex than guys basketball. I play girls basketball and I have in the pass 2 years gon from averaging 1 or 2 fouls a game to getting close to getting fouled out. That is the norm. THIS IS AN AMAZING ARTICLE!!

InfatuatedwithSadness SILVER, Miami, Florida
I agree 100% because I play basketball and no one understands how the game really is unles they actually watch it or play the game. It's really physical. A lot of people judge us because we are girls and not guys but our sport is just as entertaining if better.

DellsBallas BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota

If your not first your last.

I liked this article. It is very true that girls basketball is very interesting and physical. But it does not become that good until college. Like in high school there is usually one or two good players for girls that usually just dominate, but at the college level its a team effort. If you have ever watched South Dakota State's Girls team you will know exactly what im talking about.

xCblue44x said...
Being on the Girls Varsity team at my school, it makes me really happy that a guy realized it isn't about gender. Yeah, guys can be bigger and stronger and faster, but it doesn't mean a girl's game is no good. We work just as hard. We love it just as much. Thank you for writing this, really.

on Dec. 27 2008 at 12:50 am
I am on a Varsity girls basketball team and I completely agree with the agressivness of the girls. We run more complex plays and have a great drive to win. Being a underclassmen, playing time is scarce,so I am as aggresive as possible during my time. This may include 30 seconds with 2 fouls and 3 crashes on the floor/wall! I may be on the way to about 6 foot because i have size 10.5 mens shoes with comparing hands.Great Article. Your cousin is a great role model for girls facing adversity because of their sports abilities. Write On!

this was a real good story about going to your cosins basketball game. The discripion was really good. Hope you keep writing. Good Job!

tweedle dee said...
on Aug. 20 2008 at 2:07 am
hey, great story! sounds a lot like my friends b-ball games... keep writting!

Anu said...
hey,

i liked your story.But,somewhere since you used sports I expected a stronger conclusion.Good job!I'l keep an eye for your work.Like your use of words though.