Misty May-Treanor | Teen Ink

Misty May-Treanor

Misty Erie May-Treanor is well-known for her achievements in the Olympic games. Her play is inspirational to many young people who play volleyball. May-Treanor was a gold medalist in the summer Olympic games in 2004 and 2008, along with her teammate, Kerri Walsh. They have been called the “greatest beach volleyball team of all time.”

Misty was born July 30th, 1977, in Los Angeles, California. She played in her first beach volleyball tournament at the age of eight, accompanied by her father. Her father Butch May was also on the 1968 USA men’s volleyball Olympic team. Misty was involved not only in volleyball, but also in soccer, dance, and tennis. She went to Newport Harbor High School, located in Costa Mesa, California. This is where her volleyball career really took off. Misty’s team won state championships in 1992 and 1994. In 1993, she was named Division I All-CIF team Player of the Year and in 1994 she was USA Today’s best girl volleyball player in the nation.

In college, Misty attended Long Beach State University. She was the starting setter there. The 49ers went 36-0, being the only team in Division I NCAA Women’s Volleyball history. Misty was awarded NCAA Division I First Team All-American, NCAA Player of the Year, NCAA Most Outstanding Player award, the Honda-Broderick Cup, and many other awards.

Misty May-Treanor started early in her career with partner Holly McPeak, who encouraged beach volleyball. They won multiple tournaments, including at a USAV event and on FIVB tour. The pair went to the Sydney Olympics in 2000, only to place fifth. After that, she paired up with Kerri Walsh. The two dominated in tours such as the FIVB international tour and earned gold medals in the 2004 Athens Olympics and 2008 Beijing Olympics. Misty and Kerri had an unheard-of 112 game winning streak, finally broken in 2008, being beat out by Nicole Branagh and Elaine Youngs.

Misty May married the Detroit Lions’ Matt Treanor in November of 2004. She has been a guest star on many shows including Wizards of Waverly Place and Shaq Vs. and was featured on Dancing With the Stars in 2008, only to leave the show with a ruptured Achilles tendon. She also supports the Chase the Stars Foundation and the Lenovo Hope Fund. Misty May-Treanor has inspired many young people all around the world.