Crimson Tide Upsets Gators | Teen Ink

Crimson Tide Upsets Gators

January 11, 2010
By Ryan Thomson SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Ryan Thomson SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The number one ranked Florida Gators were left shocked in Atlanta, Georgia when the Alabama Crimson Tide rolled in and stole a win. The Crimson Tide and Gators were playing at a neutral site, the Georgia Dome, for the SEC championship. Alabama was ranked second in the nation at the time of the game and Florida was the top ranked team in the nation. The winner of this game would play in the BCS Championship Bowl in Pasadena, California against the Texas Longhorns.

Alabama dominated the game from start to finish and the final score showed it with a score of 32-13. The Crimson Tide jumped out to an early lead in the first quarter with a 48 yard field goal and a Mark Ingram seven yard touchdown run. With the PAT hitting the upright on the touchdown, this put the Gators down 9-0. With 28 seconds left in the first quarter, Florida put some points on the board with a 48 yard field goal putting the Gators down 9-3 to end the first quarter.

The second quarter was quite eventful with ten points scored for each team. Alabama kicked a 34 yard field goal, followed by a Florida 23 yard touchdown pass to David Nelson from Tim Tebow. This put the score at 12-10 in favor of Alabama. Later in the quarter, Mark Ingram scored again on a 3 yard rushing touchdown. Florida ended the quarter on a 32 yard field goal making the score Alabama 19, Florida 13 at the end of the first half.

The second half belonged solely to Alabama due to the Crimson Tide scoring the only points in the second half. The third quarter score came from a 17 yard pass from Greg McElroy to Colin Peek. With the extra point, this put the Crimson Tide up 26-13 at the end of the third quarter. The fourth quarter had only one score coming from Mark Ingram’s third score of the game. With fourteen minutes remaining in the game Mark Ingram scored on a one yard run. This made the score 32-13 and Alabama coach Nick Saban attempted to go for two points in order to make the score a difference of 21.

In the closing minutes of the game Florida quarterback Tim Tebow threw an interception sealing the win for Alabama and giving the Crimson Tide not only the SEC championship, but a spot in the BCS National Championship Bowl Game.

The author's comments:
I watched this game.