Warhawks Squeak Past Indians | Teen Ink

Warhawks Squeak Past Indians

January 11, 2010
By Steven Benna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Steven Benna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On Thursday, December 3rd, the Warhawks kicked their wrestling season. Freshmen talent is expected to provide depth for them this year, and they lived up to their hype.
Jake Sueflohn was the first wrestler for the Warhawks, and he picked up right where he left off from last season, pinning his opponent. But Mukwonago would not give up and fought to stay in the match.
The 103 pound freshman Andrew Crone shined in his first ever dual. Dominating from the start, Andrew picked up a win to really widen the gap between the two teams.
With three wrestlers left, the Warhawks led 30-18. But Mukwonago’s Mattson brothers picked up wins by decision over sophomore Adam Yde and a pin over senior Matt Hoffman. After an unsportsmanlike deduction, Warkawks led 29-27, putting the match on the shoulders of Mitch Berenz, a 130-pound freshman. In his first ever varsity match, Berenz faced off against Mukwonago’s senior captain, Nick Benn.
Berenz came out hot, nearly picking up a pin early in the first round. But the lack of experience hurt Berenz, as Benn battled back, tying the bout at five. The crowds for both teams were shouting each wrestler’s last name in hope to give him the extra surge to victory. But in a sudden death round, meaning the first wrestler to score, Berenz took down Benn to clinch victory for the Warhawks.
"Even though people who don't know him look at him as a freshman, in reality he's a seasoned veteran," Warhawks coach John Mesenbrink said to The Lake Country Reporter.
The Warhawks' next match is December 10th, against conference rival Waukesha West.

The author's comments:
I was at the meet