Breast Cancer Awareness in the NFL

October is here, and that means it is national breast cancer awareness month. In hope of raising money to find a cure for this life threatening disease, many players in the NFL wore pink apparel.

Plenty of big name players such as Brett Favre, Adrian Peterson, Jay Cutler, Ladainian Tomlinson, and Peyton Manning wore pink gloves, cleats, and sweat bands. The coaches for every team were given team hats with a pink brim and the breast cancer ribbon on the back. Even the cheerleaders for each team had a pink outfit.

Out of the NFL players, Brett Favre has the largest emotional connection to breast cancer. His wife, Deanna, was diagnosed with breast cancer in October of 2004. Deanna started the Deanna Favre Hope Foundation to raise money for breast cancer patients. She and Brett have donated both time and money to help other victims.

Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women. Approximately 192,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year, and just under 40,000 women die each year. On the bright side, since 1999, there have been less and less cases of breast cancer discovered.